Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable 2.4Ghz on RBR750 (v4.6.9.11)

mt8949
Tutor

Disable 2.4Ghz on RBR750 (v4.6.9.11)

I can no longer disable the 2.4Ghz spectrum on my Orbi, even unticking the box in admin and pressing apply.  When I look at devices, lots of them reconnect at 2.4Ghz.

I have a constant problem of devices flicking between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz constantly causing dropouts.  I had to put the 2.4Ghz power down to 25% in an attempt to gently encourage devices to use 5Ghz.

Ideally i'd have separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Are other people experiencing issues like this?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Orbi systems have never had the ability to disable either radio or separate SSIDs, ever. 

I presume your referring to the 2.4Ghz AX mode check box under wireless settings? If so, this does NOT disable the 2.4Ghz radio, this disables the AX operating mode on 2.4Ghz only. Leaving the lower modes, BG, and N running on 2.4Ghz. 

Message 2 of 6
mt8949
Tutor

Thankyou

How do users deal with devices constantly flitting between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and the dropouts? 

I've noticed intermittent interference on the 2.4Ghz range so I wish i could encourage devices to hang out on the 5Ghz spectrum.

Message 3 of 6
Mikey94025
Hero

@mt8949 wrote:

How do users deal with devices constantly flitting between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and the dropouts? 

I've noticed intermittent interference on the 2.4Ghz range so I wish i could encourage devices to hang out on the 5Ghz spectrum.

I have not observed this with my devices.  If they are close enough to use 5Ghz, they consistent connect using 5Ghz.  Furthermore, there is no reason for them to reconnect if the 5Ghz connection stays up (which it does).

I would focus on fixing the stability issues you have with your 5Ghz connections.  I don't think your issues are related to 2.4Ghz or separate SSIDs for 2.4Ghz vs. 5Ghz.  Are you using a fixed 5Ghz wireless channel, not Auto?  Do you see disconnect from all 5Ghz devices or only certain ones/types (if specific type then we check for their settings)?  How far away are these devices from the Orbi base or satellite?

Is your Orbi uptime as reported in http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm staying high so the instability is with the wireless (not Orbi rebooting)?  Does the problem go away if you power down all the satellites or all but one satellite (if yes then you may have too many, too close, interfering with each other)?

Message 4 of 6
mt8949
Tutor

Thankyou, I will look into these areas and post back if I find anything useful to report.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@mt8949 wrote:

Thankyou

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series