Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EAX80 vs new Orbi AX6000

Mad_Thunder
Aspirant

EAX80 vs new Orbi AX6000

So here's the situation. We have recently moved to a larger two story home (3,100 sqft.) and the internet is horrible. We will soon be switching ISP to at least give us better bandwidth and streaming capabilities but now I'm looking at options and want the experts' advice. I currently have a Nighthawk EAX80 WiFi extender upstairs that is at least helping our situation but coverage is still an issue. It is working so far with the modem/Wi-Fi combo but internet constantly goes in and out. I'm hoping a better signal strength and Wi-Fi devices will help!

-

As we switch though, I am looking for the pros and cons in getting a DOCSIS 3.1 modem (the CM1200) and another router (possibly a Nighthawk AX6000) to work with the current Nighthawk extender (EAX80) or just using a modem and the ORBI bundle that I think would work best for our home. I'm eyeing the AX6000 but I'm not sure about the major issues the community has come across, if any. 

-

Right now we have an entertainment hub downstairs with PS3, PS4 and TV used for all of our streaming needs. While upstairs we have another entertainment area with TV and PS4. The only other smart devices in the home are two Nest thermosatats upstairs and downstairs along with a video doorbell. This is not counting our cell phones or smart tablet and printer that are only connected when needed. The demands aren't extreme but still spotty when the devices are in use.

-

So what do you all think about the pros and cons of utilizing ORBI vs the traditional Modem/Router/Extender combination? And if I were to buy the ORBI AX6000 would I still need a modem or is one unit a modem/router as well?

-

That's all the issues but any advice or help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we make this transition. Thanks in advance!!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: EAX80 vs new Orbi AX6000

You already have a EAX80, then you may want to just replace the current wifi router system with a RAX80 wifi router and keep the EAX80 since you are invested in that unit.

I'm unsure of the EAX80 would connect to the Orbi AX system. I don't have one so I don't know. Something to ask NG support about. 

I have the CAX80 cable modem gateway which I presume the EAX80 would connect well up to if you wanted to go that route. 

The CM1000, 1100 and 1200 are all D3.1 supporting. And yes you would need one of these with the RAX or Orbi AX wifi system. That CAX80 is it's one modem and router. 

Current Orbi AX has been maturing over the past few months and FW seems to be stable now. v32 is was is current and for me, its working well. There is one bug that I hope will appear in next update which only effects two or more game consoles being online at the same time. NAT Filter is not working right. I has been fixed and we are waiting for NG to include it in the FW. Others have reported seeing odd wifi connections issues with Orbi AX. NG has been using a lower CTS value which they seem to want everyone to use. Historically its has been 2347 which has worked well. For those users seeing these issues, we recommend changing to 2347 which resolves there problems. 

Also there is no way to disable the SSID broadcast on either radio which is offered on Orbi AC. This helps user with 2.4Ghz IoT devices connected on Orbi AC. With this feature not available on Orbi AX, users have had bad experiences getting new IoT to connect. Users can lower the power output on the 5Ghz radio to help force the setup phone or pad to the 2.4Ghz radio. Another consideration is to use the same SSID name and PW on the new Orbi AX system and ones prior wifi router, this makes migration to Orbi AX less of a hassel with some if not most wifi devices. I've use the same SSID name and PW for years and Orbi is working fine for me currently. 

my 2 cents.

Message 2 of 5
Mad_Thunder
Aspirant

Thanks Furry I will definitely start looking into the CAX80 as an option. It would be a waste to lose the EAX80, especially since it was purchased not too long ago. But I would go with whatever the best option would be for overall connectivity, even if that means losing the EAX80.

-

I should have also mentioned that utilizing at least one of (or both) of the satellites in the CX6000  bundle as physical acces points for the TV or consoles via Ethernet cable was what really had me thinking of that as a main choice. 

-

And thank you for the tip on SSID I never thought of that as mostly I've always changed the ID and pass.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, keep the same SSID name. You can change the PW if you want to if you feel the need. I live in a good nieghbor hood and all adults here in the home so PW change isn't really needed. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 5
Kyne
Apprentice

Well, if you have wired ethernet in the house, I would get the Orbi 100%, for the mere fact that it supports wired backhaul versus the EAX80 utilizing shared Wifi..

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7