Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Every day or two the internet slows to a crawl, rebooting quickly fixes it.

KellyOrbi
Apprentice

Every day or two the internet slows to a crawl, rebooting quickly fixes it.

I have a CBR750 running V4.6.5.8_2.0.54. And one Satellite RBS750 backhaul connnection is 5G.

Around a month ago, I noticed a problem where access to the internet was super slow to almost non-existant for both wired and wifi devices on the routher and satellite.   The four status lights are on and steady.  No obvious messages in the logs. 

Wifi between devices in the house seems to be fine.  For example, I have Tablo box wired to the router which takes over the air TV signals and streams them to firesticks.  That works fine because it is not using the outside internet.

Logging into the router doesn't show any issues with the cable connection either.

I usually fix the issue by just unplugging the power from the CBR750 for a few seconds and plugging it back in.

Why is this happening?   I don't know.  I did an online chat with netgear this morning.  They had me change 2.4Ghz from channel "auto" to 11 and change 5Ghz from 48 to 44.  My understanding is that helps remedy some wifi interference issues.   Can interference issues cause the symptoms I mentioned?    Like I said, wifi between devices in the home works fine, it's just the outside internet that because slow and unstable.  Is there anything I should look at the next time this happens?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
KellyOrbi
Apprentice

Re: Every day or two the internet slows to a crawl, rebooting quickly fixes it.

It has now been 8 days with no problems so I'm going to mark this problem as "resolved".   The only changes that were made was the wifi settings:  They had me change 2.4Ghz from channel "auto" to 11 and change 5Ghz from 48 to 44.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

Message 2 of 10
KellyOrbi
Apprentice

As I said in the original post, I already made some changes based on what Netgear support told me.   I'm not ready to go the whole factory reset route yet.  My question for this group is whether the wifi changes I made will really help, since it appears my problem is accessing the internet on all devices whether wired or wifi.  I'm not going to make anymore changes for a few days to see if my problem reoccurs.

The house is 1400 square feet.  The satellite is 50 feet and 3 walls away from the router.  I'll posts logs and such if the problem reoccurs.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning OFF the RBS and see if the problem continues.

For that size of home, the CBR will cover most of that. If you want to run the RBS then I recommend turning down the transmit power on the CBR to 25%. As you maybe over saturating the home with too much wifi signals: https://youtu.be/UR0viMLISz4 

Which maybe leading to this problem. 

Nobody said anything about a factory reset. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.

Message 4 of 10
KellyOrbi
Apprentice

Umm. I hate to argue but you did say "factory reset" twice.  

"Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200."

I'm on my second day with no issues so I see no need to make any other adjustments at this point.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So what have you done thus far that seems to be fixing your problem? 

Message 6 of 10
KellyOrbi
Apprentice

So far so good.  I'm starting day 2 without a reboot.  Usually I've been having to reboot every 1 to 3 days.  I'm not out of the woods yet.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

So what have you done thus far that seems to be fixing your problem? 

Message 8 of 10
KellyOrbi
Apprentice

It has now been 8 days with no problems so I'm going to mark this problem as "resolved".   The only changes that were made was the wifi settings:  They had me change 2.4Ghz from channel "auto" to 11 and change 5Ghz from 48 to 44.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7