Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extending Wi Fi Range

Iwzbravo
Aspirant

Extending Wi Fi Range

The people that I am living with decided to put the internet in the basement so I bought the ax4200. The primary router is with the modem in the basement and I have the satellite set up on the second floor where I need the internet but I am getting very low speeds. If I were to get another satellite and place it on the floor in between the router and 2nd floor satellite would it increase my speed on the second floor?
Message 1 of 6

@Iwzbravo wrote:
The people that I am living with decided to put the internet in the basement so I bought the ax4200. The primary router is with the modem in the basement and I have the satellite set up on the second floor where I need the internet but I am getting very low speeds. 

Not much to go on there. What is this AX4200?

AX4200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AC/AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Look at the label on the device for the model number.

How is this thing connected to the router in the basement with a WiFi link as an extender?

If I were to get another satellite and place it on the floor in between the router and 2nd floor satellite would it increase my speed on the second floor?

Adding multiple steps would not guarantee a faster connection. A quick experiment would be to put the unnamed AX4200 somewhere in the middle, between you WiFi client and the router.

Bad move to put the main WiFi source in the basement. How do these people connect to the Internet in the rest of the house?

Message 2 of 6
Iwzbravo
Aspirant

The model number is rbk752 and they don't use the internet in any other area of the house. I'm the only one who uses it upstairs. I tried telling them it was a bad move to put it in the basement but they didn't listen. Also it is an orbi mesh system so it has the base router with satellites to extend the range
Message 3 of 6

@Iwzbravo wrote:
The model number is rbk752 and they don't use the internet in any other area of the house. I'm the only one who uses it upstairs. I tried telling them it was a bad move to put it in the basement but they didn't listen. Also it is an orbi mesh system so it has the base router with satellites to extend the range

Have you invited them to see what happens at your end?

The RBK752 is an Orbit router/satellite bundle. Why did you buy that? It is intended for a connection to a modem.

Orbi Mesh Systems - NETGEAR Communities

How is it connected to the (unnamed) primary router? This is not straightforward when pile router on router.

Message 4 of 6
Iwzbravo
Aspirant

I never said that there was a separate router. The router is hooked directly to the modem and the satellite is in the room that I am using the internet
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended.

Is the RBR in the basement as well? Basements are not recommended locations for the main RBR. All that concrete and steel will cause problems. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series