Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Force Plystation Portal onto 5ghz band.

PhilDaNoob
Aspirant

Force Plystation Portal onto 5ghz band.

Hi everyone,
I have a Netgear Orbi RBR850. At the weekend I purchased a Sony PlayStation Portal. The Portal is suppose to run on a 5Ghz band. How do I force the Portal onto the Orbi’s 5ghz band?
Many thanks!
Message 1 of 7

Re: Force Plystation Portal onto 5ghz band.

@PhilDaNoob wrote:
The Portal is suppose to run on a 5Ghz band. How do I force the Portal onto the Orbi’s 5ghz band?

You'll have to ask the people who made the portal.

By design the Orbi broadcasts both 2.4 and 5 GHz. it is up to your devices to connect.

If the device doesn't work with 2.4 GHz, it won't see it.

Message 2 of 7
PhilDaNoob
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

The PlayStation Portal can hop onto 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands. However, it’s recommended to run it on the faster 5Ghz band only.

Is there a way to achieve this on the Orbi?

Previous routers I have owned (by other brands) had the ability to assign a device to either the 2Ghz or 5ghz or both bands.
Message 3 of 7

@PhilDaNoob wrote:

The PlayStation Portal can hop onto 2Ghz and 5Ghz bands. However, it’s recommended to run it on the faster 5Ghz band only.

Is there a way to achieve this on the Orbi?

Not with the original Orbi Mesh routers.

Some newer devices do have that feature, my MR93 Mesh, for example, but I see no sign that this is possible on the RBR850.

Does that have a way to say "Use only 5GHz"? On things like mobile phones it is down to the phone to pick the best signal.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the RBR? 

Any RBS deployed? If so, how many? 

What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

On new FW, there is options to get devices ON 5Ghz on Orbi 8 series systems. 

However it is up to client device to connect to either frequency based on design and support. Be sure your device supports 5Ghz. Most 5Ghz supporting devices usually pick 5Ghz first thing when connected if 5Ghz signal is present. Could fall back to 2.4Ghz if something is not working right or not configured right.

@PhilDaNoob wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a Netgear Orbi RBR850. At the weekend I purchased a Sony PlayStation Portal. The Portal is suppose to run on a 5Ghz band. How do I force the Portal onto the Orbi’s 5ghz band?
Many thanks!

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@PhilDaNoob wrote:
Hi everyone,
Many thanks!

As others have commented, the Orbi system does not provide a mechanism to force a product to connect at 5G.

In the discussion, I did not see information regarding what connection it has.  Is it connecting at 2.4G or 5G?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

One can setup the IoT network for 5Ghz only broadcast on v7 FW I believe. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7