Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 'Ghost' RBS750 Satellite

Zooropean83
Aspirant

'Ghost' RBS750 Satellite

Hi,

A new RBS 750 has appeared on my system (RBR750 plus 3 RBS750s all on wireless backhaul) and I don't know how. It appears to be a duplicate of another satellite (with a two digit different MAC address and completely new serial number) and uses the same local IP. In the image below, the 3rd one is the new ghost satellite and the 4th entry is the one it appears to be duplicating - although the duplicate seems to have no attached devices, whilst the original has wired and wireless clients.

Zooropean83_1-1669072015054.png

It appeared from nowhere - I was cooking at the time when I got a notification from the app on my phone that Armor had discovered it and now a lot of other devices on my network are suddenly being "discovered" and scanned by Armor again, resulting in lots of duplicate devices in "Attached Devices" and the Device Manager. I've not touched the setup of the network for months - although the router and satellites did auto update last week to 4.6.9.11_2.3.5, so am at a loss to as what is going on.

After it first appeared, wifi speeds did initially plummet from about 700Mbs to 25Mbs but a reboot solved that, although the duplicate persists. It shows in both the iOS app and the full web admin client.

If anyone has any ideas on what is going on or how to solve it (short of a factory reset, which I'd like to use only as an absolute last resort) it'd be much appreciated. I've had a look around but have struggled to find a clear solution to this exact problem.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this seen in different browsers? 

Be sure to clear all browser caches before entering the RBRs web page. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 
Message 2 of 5
Zooropean83
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.
As I said, it is appearing in the iOS app and the web client, but seeing as they are showing different MAC addresses and serial numbers, I would be confident this is not a browser cache issue, anyway.

As mentioned there has been a reboot of the system and that has not solved anything.

All the other questions you ask (sq ft, ONT etc) seem irrelevant I’m afraid as the system has been running perfectly for months - it is only yesterday this started, with no change in physical setup or configuration, bar an auto FW update over a week ago.
Message 3 of 5
Zooropean83
Aspirant

Oddly, having left it for 24 hours the “ghost” satellite has now begun showing as disconnected allowing me to remove it in the admin.

As mysteriously as the problem begun, it’s now mysteriously given me a way of fixing it - despite zero changing!
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch if you see this again. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7