Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Half the desired speed of RBK852 AX6000 mesh system

RD3AV5
Aspirant

Half the desired speed of RBK852 AX6000 mesh system

I just purchased the AX6000 after a lot of research to use with my gigabit Internet. While wired I get 800-900 mbps average, WiFi is about 400 mbps on an iPhone 11 with WiFi 6, that is only about a foot away from the router. I live in a 1800 sq. ft. house with no back neighbors, just one on each side. The router and the Satellite are about 40 feet away and I’m getting about half the speed I was hoping to get. While 400 mbps isn’t bad, I paid a lot for gigabit speeds and this router and only reaching half the amount I expected and is a little frustrating. I download a lot of large files for work so the faster the better. I’ve tried a lot; reset the network setting on the phone, Re-Initialized the Orbi router, power cycled the modem and router, changed the 5ghz channel to each option and tested, and even updated firmware. Nothing seems to make a difference. I’ve seen people hitting 700 mbps on WiFi and would be happier with those results.

I Just got off the phone with customer service. It's horrendous. Not helpful at all. I guess I'll wait for responses elsewhere before I decide to return this or not.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

The wifisweetspots test is a connection rate between the device at the iphone. Not a thruput speed test. Ooklas speed test doe the thruput test.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Most wifi devices unless fully supporting of AX Modes and connection rates above 1300Mpbs, will max out at around 400-500Mpbs wirelessly. Wired devices should always see near 900Mpbs. 

I see the iPHone 11 s AX supporting however only 2x2 MIMO

802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2x2 MIMO

https://www.apple.com/iphone-11/specs/

The Orbi AX is 12 stream MIMO wifi. 

So the phone maybe limited on seeing actual 900mbps thruput speeds. 

One thing you need to do is download wifispeetspots on your iphone then run this app while the iphone is connected near the RBR, say 3-6 feet line of site. See what connection rate the iphone is connecting at to the RBR. Should be 1300mbps - 2400Mbps at least. 

Message 2 of 8
RD3AV5
Aspirant

You would think with the 5 GHz on the Orbi supporting 2400 mbps and the phone supporting 1300 mbps theoreticals it would hit 700 mbps or so just fine. I have read reviews and seen how an iPhone 11 can at least hit that (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unc36O66Ef0) and was expecting something similar. There are only a couple of other SSID's near me and didn't think it would affect it much, but still, getting 350/400 or so vs 700/800 mbps I was expecting still disappointing, even when accounting for at least a 25-30% reduction expectation from theoretical speeds it should still hit it. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Need to find out what connection rate the iphone is connected with the RBR. 

Message 4 of 8
RD3AV5
Aspirant

It is about a foot away from the RBR and is at 5 GHz at channel 44. 

EDIT: I just downloaded WiFi Sweetspots and will test and report back. 

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

And what is the connect rate the phone is connecting at using wifisweetspots? 

Message 6 of 8
RD3AV5
Aspirant

Interesting! I was hitting an average of 760 mbps on the WiFi Sweetspot app. These are more the speeds I was expecting. I do wonder why Ookla Speedtest is telling me much slower than that. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The wifisweetspots test is a connection rate between the device at the iphone. Not a thruput speed test. Ooklas speed test doe the thruput test.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7