Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Help with new mesh purchase

nashdm2
Aspirant

Help with new mesh purchase

Hi all, I am looking at buying a 1 x RBR850 and 3 x RBS850 kit. I plan to connect them all up with ethernet cables and run it off a virgin hub in modem mode.

I am very sorry if these things have been mentioned before but I cannot find anything on search.

1. Is the ethernet connection the best way to do thing please?

2. Although most reviews of the product set give it 5*, is this the reality of users as I am reading about issues with devices not using the closest and strongest satellite, but, holding onto the RBR instead?

3. I am not particularly technically minded, so, is there anything else I need to know about my potential purchase please?

TIA, Dave

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Help with new mesh purchase

1. Yes, using Ethernet to connect the satellites to the router is generally considered to provide better performance than the normal WiFi connection.

2. Customers turn to community forums when they have a problem, not when they are happy.  When I browse forums for most brands, I do not see a lot of, "so glad I bought this wonderful system."  Netgear is no different in that respect.

3. The consensus is that setting up and configuring the system using the web administration procedure is superior to using the Orbi 'app'.  Web administration is required for anything past the most basic settings.  (with the exception of Parental Controls and Armor, which can be done only through the 'app'.)  We 'old-timers' also prefer using a computer connected to the router with an Ethernet cable to manage the system, although there appear to be fewer and fewer customers who have computers with Ethernet capability.

Message 2 of 3
nashdm2
Aspirant

Re: Help with new mesh purchase

Hey, thanks very much for the reply, really appreciate your feedback. I will get on and buy it. Thanks!!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7