Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How do I turn my Orbi RBR350 into a Access Point?

JimmyBSwe
Aspirant

How do I turn my Orbi RBR350 into a Access Point?

Hello!

I already think this thread exists but I can't find it!

I would like to turn my Orbi RBR350 router into an Access Point but can't find a guide on how to do this.Today I have an RBR750 as a router with two RBS350 wirelessly connected but I want to use the RBR350 as well so I can get my xbox, nintendo and tv-box connected to that access point via network cable and get a more stable line to those devices..

Can someone please link me to that thread or help me get the info I need to solve this.?

THX

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@JimmyBSwe wrote:

I can connect my games and tv devices to the main router via network cable through the RBR350, the RBR350 will not be used for anything else, I don't even want it to send out any signal so other devices can connect to it wirelessly.. Is this possible or not?

A $20 gigabit Ethernet switch will be a cleaner solution, plus offer more ports (8 ports instead of 3), and take up less space.

It is impossible to disable the WiFi radios on Orbi equipment. (They are, after all, WiFi routers.)  What you could do is:

• Change the 2.4G and 5G channels to as far as possible from the 750 as possible.
  • Go to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings and change the Transmit Power setting to the smallest possible value (which I think is 25%)

I would go with the Ethernet switch

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, the RBR350 can be an Access Point, but it cannot be a satellite***.This setting is on the web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings Menu.

Netgear did not design Orbi units to be interchangeable.  Router and satellite have different firmware and capabilities.  (Other manufacturers market mesh WiFi systems where every unit can take on either role.)

An Orbi RBR350 router can be only a router.  It cannot be a satellite.  Orbi routers must be connected to their host network with an Ethernet cable.  They cannot connect wirelessly.

Orbi WiFi routers offer two "modes"

• Router mode, in which the Orbi performs all the typical functions of a network router, and
  • Access Point (AP) mode, in which the Orbi ceases managing the network and simply connects devices to the host network.

*** When the RBR350 is connected to the RBR750 network using Ethernet in either 'mode' it will create a separate WiFi network from the host RBR750 WiFi network.  Devices will not roam seamlessly between the two WiFi networks.

Message 3 of 8
JimmyBSwe
Aspirant

Thanks for quick reply!

So, if it works as I have thought, my thought is that my RBR750 is the main router and my two RBS350 satellites will be wirelessly linked to it just as they are today and my RBR350 router that is not in use today will be connected to my RBR750 router via network cable only so I can connect my games and tv devices to the main router via network cable through the RBR350, the RBR350 will not be used for anything else, I don't even want it to send out any signal so other devices can connect to it wirelessly.. Is this possible or not?

THX

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the RBR750? 

Be aware that the RBR750 and RBS350 FW will be to all be using the following version if you wish to use the RBS350s with a RBR750 unit:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR760-RBS760-Firmware-Version-...

Message 5 of 8
JimmyBSwe
Aspirant

I use FW v4.6.14.3 on the RBR750 and the same om RBS350, I've been using this combination for a while already, it's just the RBR350 router that I want to connect to the existing system so I get more network ports to connect my game-consoles and TV-box to..

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You could however would be needing to be in AP mode and using different channels an SSID name is all. 

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@JimmyBSwe wrote:

I can connect my games and tv devices to the main router via network cable through the RBR350, the RBR350 will not be used for anything else, I don't even want it to send out any signal so other devices can connect to it wirelessly.. Is this possible or not?

A $20 gigabit Ethernet switch will be a cleaner solution, plus offer more ports (8 ports instead of 3), and take up less space.

It is impossible to disable the WiFi radios on Orbi equipment. (They are, after all, WiFi routers.)  What you could do is:

• Change the 2.4G and 5G channels to as far as possible from the 750 as possible.
  • Go to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings and change the Transmit Power setting to the smallest possible value (which I think is 25%)

I would go with the Ethernet switch

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7