Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How long has my satellite RBR852 been up?

donawalt
Prodigy

How long has my satellite RBR852 been up?

I know I have seen somewhere, where you can see how long each router/satellite has been powered up - RBR/RBS 850 series. Can anyone point me to that? I checked the router page and the satellite page, and I have not seen it! Thanks

Message 1 of 12
donawalt
Prodigy

I found it, which raises a question - but it's on the debug page for each router/satellite - <ip adx>/debug.htm

Message 2 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

I found it, which raises a question

Indeed, debug.htm exists for most models of Orbi router and satellite and one of the items displayed is System Uptime.

What is the question?

Message 3 of 12
donawalt
Prodigy

Oh sorry- satellite showed blue tonight like it’s been restarted, yet uptime is 10 days. It’s an eth backhaul. How could that happen?

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model switch is the RBS connected too. Possible something happened where the RBS got disconnected and it tried to re-establish the connection. Every so often it's good to power cycle LAN switches. I've noticed sometimes they get hung up or in some odd condition.

Message 5 of 12
donawalt
Prodigy

Hi Furry, the switch is NETGEAR 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS348).

I do power cycle EVERYTHING in appropriate order (modem, switch, router, 2 satellites) every 6 weeks. Should I do the switch more frequently?

Message 6 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

@donawalt wrote:

Oh sorry- satellite showed blue tonight like it’s been restarted, yet uptime is 10 days. It’s an eth backhaul. How could that happen?

Although possibly disruptive to the home network, it would be an interesting experiment to temporarily pull the Ethernet cable from the satellite, wait for 5-10 minutes to see what happens, then plug it back in.

Orbi systems do not "sense things" instantly (in my experience).  There are internal timers that check for things, such as "is there an Ethernet backhaul available?"

p.s. the only time my network equipment is power cycled is when Edison causes a power outage that lasts longer than the various UPS boxes that things are powered by.  My record is something like six months of uptime.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What version is the 348 switch? There is a V# on the sticker. 

Is this the first time you noticed the RBS and uptime difference? 

I've not power cycled mine unless I'm seeing a sync issue when I'm setting up any RBS. Every 6 weeks is your choice and is ok as well. 

What CAT# lan cable are you using in between the RBR, Switch and RBS? 

Might keep track of uptime between the RBR and RBS and take notice of any differences in the next 6 weeks. 

@donawalt wrote:

Hi Furry, the switch is NETGEAR 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (GS348).

I do power cycle EVERYTHING in appropriate order (modem, switch, router, 2 satellites) every 6 weeks. Should I do the switch more frequently?

Message 8 of 12
donawalt
Prodigy

I believe it's CAT 5e, it was all prewired in the house when we moved in. That's fine for our needs, I have a jack in my office and my MacBook Pro gets 950MB/sec thru the switch so that's fine. The RBSs generally seem very stable on a wired backhaul, originally I had all wireless backhauls, and things were less stable. I was able to have a much more efficient setup with only 2 satellites not 3, as I walked around and wherever there was a BAD WIFi signal (starting with just the router, then figure out where the first satellite should be placed), that's where I plugged in the satellite - it brough WiFi signals to an area not well served. I then did the same thing with the second satellite. I was able to skip the second floor entirely, the WiFi signal from the 1st and third floors covers it perfectly! The Orbis are good hardware.

I don't see any V# sticker on any side of the unit - only the larger (about 3" x 4") white sticker with the serial number and a bunch of terms on it, I bought it in March 2021.

This is the first time I noticed a difference in the uptime and seeing a blue light. 

I'll keep an eye on the uptime and any differences!

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok keep an eye on this one for now. If you notice it again, possible causes could be the switch or cabling in between. Thought 5e should work ok, CAT6 would be better. 

If you notice this again, try swapping out the RBS for the other and run it. 

Last time I saw my I series online with wireless RBS, was 24days uptime recently. 😁

Message 10 of 12
donawalt
Prodigy

Will do!

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series