Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I'm struggling with this with a new RBR853 kit

facest
Aspirant

I'm struggling with this with a new RBR853 kit

I'm struggling with this with a new RBR853 kit, I can ping the satellite IP but I'm not able to access the web interface anyway.

I've tried resetting them, tried wired backhaul, tried connecting to them directly with every other device turned off (using 192.168.1.250) and had no success at all. The only thing I did after unboxing and plugging everything in was tapping firmware update in the iOS app and I think letting it update, I don't think I checked the satellite status before that so I can't confirm it worked before.

In Attached Devices it shows as Backhaul out of sync, but the satellites themselves get the blue light thinking everything's OK.

I'm completely out of ideas and will just be sending it back if there's no answer, which sucks because I can tell from the performance of the router alone that this would be great if it worked completely.

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
facest
Aspirant

Re: I'm struggling with this with a new RBR853 kit

I ended up resolving this myself using nmrpflash after searching for info about how to fix a bricked device, even though mine weren't exactly bricked.

After this I had to move the satellites closer to the router and power them on, and after a few reboots they were up and running with the sync error gone and web interfaces accessible.

PS D:\Applications> .\nmrpflash.exe -L
net15 192.168.1.107 22:22:22:22:22:22 (Wi-Fi)
net13 192.168.1.254 33:33:33:33:33:33 (Ethernet) <--- use this interface

PS D:\Applications> .\nmrpflash.exe -i net13 -f .\RBS850-V7.2.6.21.chk
Waiting for Ethernet connection (Ctrl-C to skip).
Warning: IP address marked as deprecated.
Advertising NMRP server on net13 ... /
Received configuration request from 44:44:44:44:44:44.
Sending configuration: 10.164.183.253/24.
Received upload request: filename 'firmware'.
Uploading RBS850-V7.2.6.21.chk ... Warning: TFTP block rollover. Upload might fail!
OK (38540186 b)
Waiting for remote to respond.
Remote finished. Closing connection.
Reboot your device now.

Netgear's manual flash instructions weren't helpful in this situation and I think they should extend it to include nmrpflash - it's an easy process... if you know it's something to try.

Going around in circles with support re-doing the initial setup steps and hoping it'd do something different really isn't a good experience, especially when it was clear this was an issue with with the satellites on their own.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded? Be sure that FW on the RBS is same as whats loaded on the RBR.

RBS need to be updated first before the RBR is.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR📡 and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wired or wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

Message 2 of 15
facest
Aspirant

The router says V7.2.6.21_5.0.20, I can't tell what the satellites are on because they're not reachable and the field is blank when looking from the router. There's only one firmware update button in the app - not one for the router and a separate one for the satellites - are you saying this is the wrong way to update and is known to break the satellites?

There's no ISP modem, the Orbi is connected directly to the ISP and has PPPoE configured for the WAN. Internet works fine when connected to the router. It's a small home, but I've tried the satellites both close to the router and over 30ft from it with no difference and also tried wired backhaul as mentioned - they show up on the routers web interface as wired, but are still unreachable.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, RBS need upating First, then RBR lastly. 

Can you ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR and see if the RBS appear on the RBRs web page at all with a IP address? 

Message 4 of 15
facest
Aspirant

They appear on the RBR with an IP address if I use wireless backhaul or wired backhaul. I feel like I'm repeating myself, I've mentioned this in both previous messages.

The satellites show up on the RBR but the IP address isn't reachable (other than ping) to be able to manually update them.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Using the IP address for the RBS, can you put that into a web browser to see if you can access the RBS web pages? 

If you can try logging in using the RBR log in info or maybe admin and password. 

If you can get in check the FW version, if they are not updated and behind, manually update them by sending the FW file to the RBS web page there using the web browser. Unpack the .zip file.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WIFI-6-AX-AND-Wi-Fi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-...

Message 6 of 15
facest
Aspirant

I can't access the IP address of the satellites under any circumstances, that is the main problem I have and am trying to resolve.

The IP is listed on the RBR, but the update function from the RBR web interface just says "service unavailable" for the two satellites, and on the manual update tab clicking update for an individual satellite opens a new window directly to the RBS IP that times out.

If I do a port scan of the satellite the only port that is open is port 53 and, surprisingly, using it as a DNS resolver works fine so the backhaul has to be up and working, at least?

(in this output 192.168.1.3 is one of the two satellites)

> server 192.168.1.3
Default Server: [192.168.1.3]
Address: 192.168.1.3

> google.com

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 2404:6800:4006:814::200e

>

Is there a way to factory reset the satellites and make sure they don't auto-join the RBR? The methods I've tried incl. powering them off and removing them from the RBR manually don't seem to go far enough, as soon as they're powered back on - even after holding the reset button - they pair up without having to use the sync buttons at all.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

MIght try this, use the GENERATE button under Advanced Tab/Advanced Wireless and see if you can generate a new RBS BH Password, then use the Add Satellite wizard on the RBR to see if they will connect wirelessly. Bring them to the same room as the RBR for this.

Would you happen to know what prior FW version you had on the RBR before the v7 update? I would guess it would have been the last v4 version of FW. Possible that you might downgrade the RBR and see if the RBS connect then, and if so and if you then can get in to the RBS web page, then update the RBS to v7 first, then re-update the RBR back to v7.

Message 8 of 15
facest
Aspirant

I'll give that a try. I'm not sure what version it was on before I started having issues but since this was straight out of the box it was probably the stock FW version - wouldn't happen to know what that is, would you?

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

Message 10 of 15
facest
Aspirant

No luck. I can downgrade as far as the first v4 version, and tried a few different versions of v4, and in all cases the satellites web interface doesn't come up and the RBR shows the satellite connected, backhaul out of sync (flicks between good and out of sync during boot), and the network IP/MAC, but nothing else.

Tried factory resetting the RBR and satellites and pairing the first one up via ethernet with no luck. They just seem to be stuck in this state where they connect to the RBR fine but don't get to the point where the web interface works.

Checking the BSSID on a connected client it does look like the satellite is accepting clients and the backhaul is fine - even with the web interface being down and the RBR showing backhaul issues.

It's the same symptoms as this thread, except it's happening on my satellites and not the router itself https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/RBR850-We-can-t-find-your-Orbi/td-p/2220651

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you reach out to NG support and check to see if they can help on this:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
Then clicking on "Get answers about NETGEAR products before I buy" then clicking on "Networking for Home" then "Chat with us".
https://kb.netgear.com/1162/How-can-I-get-a-Return-Material-Authorization

Message 12 of 15
facest
Aspirant

I'm working with support currently but they apparently didn't escalate over the weekend, and so far all they've done is ask me to factory reset and try to re-sync the satellites.

The only interesting thing support mentioned was that they weren't convinced I bought these last week and wanted me to prove I did; the manufacture date and purchase date are years apart.

I'm assuming they're just dead and need to be returned, so if you're in this situation don't do what I did - it's not worth burning your weekend factory resetting and rebooting your Orbi devices, sometimes they're just broken. I got these from Amazon during black Friday sales and the only reason I haven't just returned them is that I'd have to have them refunded and re-buy at full price just for the chance that I don't get an equally broken set.

For anyone interested in symptoms, the web interface of the router shows the satellites as paired but out of sync. Here's a screenshot of them with one connected via wired backhaul, both with the same issue:

facest_2-1701678296890.png

I assume there's more people out there with this issue that don't even realise it, because while they're in this state the mesh doesn't work and each satellite will only connect to the router and not to other satellites, but they do broadcast the SSID and clients connected to them work fine. The Orbi app and web interface gives no indication that there's an issue unless you look in attached devices on the web interface, and the mobile app shows everything as green unless you tap into the satellite and check details to see there's no hardware or firmware version listed - but even that isn't obviously a problem.

I couldn't in good faith recommend these to anyone especially at this price point. Just get the TP-Links and save yourself (or your family) the hassle.

Orbi AX6000 WiFi Mesh System (RBK853) 

Message 13 of 15
facest
Aspirant

I ended up resolving this myself using nmrpflash after searching for info about how to fix a bricked device, even though mine weren't exactly bricked.

After this I had to move the satellites closer to the router and power them on, and after a few reboots they were up and running with the sync error gone and web interfaces accessible.

PS D:\Applications> .\nmrpflash.exe -L
net15 192.168.1.107 22:22:22:22:22:22 (Wi-Fi)
net13 192.168.1.254 33:33:33:33:33:33 (Ethernet) <--- use this interface

PS D:\Applications> .\nmrpflash.exe -i net13 -f .\RBS850-V7.2.6.21.chk
Waiting for Ethernet connection (Ctrl-C to skip).
Warning: IP address marked as deprecated.
Advertising NMRP server on net13 ... /
Received configuration request from 44:44:44:44:44:44.
Sending configuration: 10.164.183.253/24.
Received upload request: filename 'firmware'.
Uploading RBS850-V7.2.6.21.chk ... Warning: TFTP block rollover. Upload might fail!
OK (38540186 b)
Waiting for remote to respond.
Remote finished. Closing connection.
Reboot your device now.

Netgear's manual flash instructions weren't helpful in this situation and I think they should extend it to include nmrpflash - it's an easy process... if you know it's something to try.

Going around in circles with support re-doing the initial setup steps and hoping it'd do something different really isn't a good experience, especially when it was clear this was an issue with with the satellites on their own.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. That's a good process for getting FW updated should the RBS not be on same FW but still have some connectivity and semi working state. Good find. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7