Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Intermittent Connection with RBR850

WyoOrbi
Initiate

Intermittent Connection with RBR850

I have an RBR50 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, Firmware Version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.  It's experiencing an intermittent connection.  I have a device hardwired into the router and about 7-10 wireless devices connected via WiFi. 

When it drops, it takes a few minutes to restart.  All of the devices I have, including the hardwired device, lose connection when it drops.  It usually happens in pairs, it will drop and then work for a few minutes and drop again.

My ISP has been telling me for a month that there is no loss of connection to the modem. They insist the problem is with the router. They replaced the modem with an updated modem, but it didn't resolve the issue. 

The ISP tech told me that he thinks I have too many devices attached to my router--is this plausible? 

I have contacted netgear support and the support tech made me do a factory reset and then made some changes to the router settings.  But I didn't resolve the issue.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Intermittent Connection with RBR850

@WyoOrbi wrote:

I have an RBR50 Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, Firmware Version V3.2.16.6_1.4.4.  It's experiencing an intermittent connection.  I have a device hardwired into the router and about 7-10 wireless devices connected via WiFi. 

When it drops, it takes a few minutes to restart.  All of the devices I have, including the hardwired device, lose connection when it drops.  It usually happens in pairs, it will drop and then work for a few minutes and drop again.

My ISP has been telling me for a month that there is no loss of connection to the modem. They insist the problem is with the router. They replaced the modem with an updated modem, but it didn't resolve the issue. 

The ISP tech told me that he thinks I have too many devices attached to my router--is this plausible? 

I have contacted netgear support and the support tech made me do a factory reset and then made some changes to the router settings.  But I didn't resolve the issue.

First off is it the new V2 of the RBR50 without USB or the old version? I ask because of the firmware you mention. The official release is 2.5.1.16. What is your ISP modem make and model and how are you connected to it? What switch are you using to run the 10 devices?

10 devices is nothing. I run 23 and some other users have way more connected. 

Message 2 of 5
WyoOrbi
Initiate

Thanks for your quick response.  I don't honestly know if I have the V2 or V1.  The box says its a RBK852.  Netgear's website says its a RBR850.  So I'm not sure.

The modem is an ARRIS TM822.  It's connected to the ORBI with an ethernet cable.  I'm not using a switch.  There's only 1 device that's hardwired.  I thought the tech was wrong about having too many devices connected, but I thought I'd better confirm it.

I think the problem is with the cable from the street to my house.  That's my last guess anyway. 

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

So you have a RBR850? 

IF so, lets post about this over in the Orbi AX forum for this model Orbi:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

v3.2.16.6_1.4.4 is actually for the 7 and 8 series Orbi AX systems. And there is only a v1 rev currently.

Thank you. 

@WyoOrbi wrote:

Thanks for your quick response.  I don't honestly know if I have the V2 or V1.  The box says its a RBK852.  Netgear's website says its a RBR850.  So I'm not sure.

The modem is an ARRIS TM822.  It's connected to the ORBI with an ethernet cable.  I'm not using a switch.  There's only 1 device that's hardwired.  I thought the tech was wrong about having too many devices connected, but I thought I'd better confirm it.

I think the problem is with the cable from the street to my house.  That's my last guess anyway. 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@WyoOrbi wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7