Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

orbi(ax4200) only getting 400megs on the wireless backhaul between the router and the satellite

sjcohen
Aspirant

orbi(ax4200) only getting 400megs on the wireless backhaul between the router and the satellite

Hello,

I just repalced my older orbi (rbr20) with a  AX4200 and I was under the assumption that I would get a better bandwitdh between the two... I have a fios connection of 1gig and when do the speedtest I do get close to that on the orbi app. (950Mbs down and 890Mbs up)

When I am downstairs connected to the satellite through the lan connection to my computer I am only getting around 350megs down and 400megs up. 

Since I only have internet I plug the Lan cable directly into the router, so no modem is needed. Upstairs computer gets around 950Mbs down and around 870Mbp up through the lan on the router. 

Any ideas or is the backhaul just no able to get those good better speeds. 

I am probably round 40 feet away from the router to the satillite from a direct line. Also I am only using 1 of the 2 satillites not sure if the 2nd one would help with that... 

Thanks for any help in advance.

Steven 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: orbi(ax4200) only getting 400megs on the wireless backhaul between the router and the satellite

A couple things. 

1. When you speedtest of the orbi app, it hosts the speedtest directly off the router. its not checking wireless. 

2. The AX4200 uses a 2400mbps backhaul. But that speed drops off rapidly with distance/obstruction. And that's link speed, not actual throughput speed. So if your link speed has dropped due to distance/obstruction/interference to a lower level, you're going to get lower speeds.  For a reference, take a look at this testing of speed attenuation for wifi 6.  

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15485/at-101-wifi-6-and-why-you-want-it/4

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: orbi(ax4200) only getting 400megs on the wireless backhaul between the router and the satellite

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 3 of 5
sjcohen
Aspirant

Firmware version 3.2.16.6

The ethernet cable coming from the ONT is going directly into the RBR750... I only have internet through Fios, so I don't the gateway anymore from them. I am able to use the netgear as my network gear completely now... 

Thanks,

Steven

Message 4 of 5
sjcohen
Aspirant

One other quick question to this... Why is the upload much better then the download... Just wondering. Also if I add the 2nd satillite to the setup would that help or does the router talk to each satillite seperatly?

Thanks,

Steven

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7