Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: My Orbi RKR850 Wi-Fi connection

nitehawk747
Tutor

My Orbi RKR850 Wi-Fi connection

I'm using the Orbi WIFI 6 mesh with one satellite. I just  noticed that some of my   WI FI connections is  weak.  My outside cameras, which is 20ft from the router, is connecting to the satellite, which is 60ft away. I can't figure this out, why it's not connecting to the router stronger signal  instead of the satellite.   When I go the the Orbi app,  I can see what is connected to each unit, and the camera is connected to the satellite .  Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What happens if you turn down the transmit power on the RBR to 50%? Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

The system is meant and designed for inside use with "some" outdoor single coverage though would be limited in range and such due to placement and building materials. What happens if you turn OFF The RBS for 1 minute then back ON? Does the camera then connect to the RBR? 

Message 2 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@nitehawk747 wrote:

My outside cameras, which is 20ft from the router, is connecting to the satellite, which is 60ft away.

This is one of the "Top Five" questions on the forum.  "Why does my xxx connect here instead of there (which is obviously  a better connection)?"

There are two parts to the answer:

1. WiFi devices choose which access point to use.
  2. Sometimes devices decide "too quickly", choose a weaker connection before a stronger connection becomes available, and stop looking.

Every WiFi access point broadcasts something called a "Beacon Frame" 5-10 times each second. (Continuously. They never stop.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_frame 

When a WiFi device powers up, the software scans the available WiFi channels and collects information about every access point that has a signal strong enough to receive. Depending on the capability of the device, this can be quite a process.  (11 or 13 2.4G channels. A bunch of 5G channels.)   The signal strength and capabilities of each access point are recorded and the device chooses one and asks to connect.  Some devices have internal settings to "connect automatically" when they find an access point that they know a password for.  Internet search for "wifi connection process" will turn up 100's of articles, such as this one:

https://netbeez.net/blog/how-wifi-connection-works/ 

Just amazing. All this takes place in seconds (or less) !

So, what can go wrong?

One thing that seems to happen with WiFi mesh networks is that one access point may begin broadcasting WiFi before the others. The device "sees" that access point, connects, and stops looking.  This often seems to happen with devices that are not mobile. (TV's, speakers, cameras, thermostats, garage door openers, smart plugs, etc.)  Mobile devices are typically programmed to "keep looking" in case they roam away from the access point and come near a "better choice".

So, one step is to temporarily power off that satellite 60 feet away to force the camera to scan for a WiFi connection again.  The router will be the only access point available.

Another solution might be that the camera chose correctly.  There is something about the building that results in the satellite offering a better connection than the router.  There are things "hidden" inside walls that can block WiFi signals.

A good test in this case would be to power up a cell phone where the camera is and see which access point it chooses.

Message 3 of 7
nitehawk747
Tutor

I didn’t think that a 60 foot away satellite, would be a better connection than 15 foot away router. The satellite is going through 4 interior walls and a brick wall, while the router is only going through one interior wall and one brick wall. The router only has 16 items connected, and the satellite has 27 units. So, neither one is overloaded. I don’t know how a mesh system connects, maybe it was just a fluke the camera connected to it. Thinking of just turn off the satellite and connect it to the router and calling it a day.  Sorry about the delay, I've been away. All the firmware is up to date.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try powering off the RBS then back ON after 1 minute. 

Can try changing the power settings on the RBR as well to see if this helps any. 

It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect to. 

Message 5 of 7
nitehawk747
Tutor

After I powered everything down, then back up ,  the camera did connect to the router.   Now the signal is stronger , the streaming connection  better. Hey,  thanks everybody for your help .  

Next I'll have to learn how to limit , and setup a start and stop time  to  my grandson game. Thanks again. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7