Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

cdp1276
Star

Re: New - RBR850 / RBS850 Firmware Version v4.6.7.5 Released

I'm in router mode connected to xfinity XB7 / CGM4331COM 2.5 Gbps port into the orbi. I have one RBS that is connected via wifi.

Message 276 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? You are aware that this modem already has a built in router and wifi? 

@cdp1276 wrote:

I'm in router mode connected to xfinity XB7 / CGM4331COM 2.5 Gbps port into the orbi. I have one RBS that is connected via wifi.

Message 277 of 460
JulianHa
Guide

That's awesome. after eliminating my whole house VPN (i feel naked) I'm up to 9 hours and feel way better than last week.
Are you putting it down to anything beyond the FW update?

Message 278 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBR850-rebooting-multiple-times-day/...

@JulianHa wrote:

That's awesome. after eliminating my whole house VPN (i feel naked) I'm up to 9 hours and feel way better than last week.
Are you putting it down to anything beyond the FW update?

Message 279 of 460
tjtrimble
Luminary

I am in AP mode, no IPv6 for me.  My memory usage still continues to cliimb with all logging turned off.  In a couple more weeks, I'll see if it crashes when it runs out.  Both Sats are wired directly to the router.

2022-02-08_13-54-12.jpg

@FURRYe38 wrote:

To @cdp1276 and anyone monitoring the Memory Usage on the debug page, if you notice this value slowly creeping up in value, check your IPv6 settings on the RBR. If it's enabled, disable IPv6 then monitor for a couple of days and please post your findings. 

There maybe a IPv6 issue here that we'd like to check on. Wondering if IPv6 is enabled, could this be causing memory usage value to creep. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

Screenshot 2022-01-29 120559.pngRock solid for me 20 days and counting vs a typical reboot weekly and memory seems fine on AP and satellite as I checked both.

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 11.95%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 416 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 20 days 23:09:02

Message 280 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks @tjtrimble 

Please let it run and see what happens when it gets to max usage and let us know. 

Message 281 of 460
cdp1276
Star

Which modem? As I siad the orbi is in router mode as I want that to be my home control point (50 devices connected). The xfinity is just my gateway enabled ISP, wifi is turned off and it is not in bridge mode.

Message 282 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok that explains some. If your ISP modem is in router mode, this maybe a double NAT condition. 
Have you put the RBRs IP address it gets from the ISP modem in to the modems DMZ or IP-passthru feature? 

What is the brand and model# of this ISP modem? 

@cdp1276 wrote:

Which modem? As I siad the orbi is in router mode as I want that to be my home control point (50 devices connected). The xfinity is just my gateway enabled ISP, wifi is turned off and it is not in bridge mode.

Message 283 of 460
SS_Italy
Aspirant

Hi guys,

i have a configuration with RBR and 2 satellite.. 

my backhaul is wired and i setup it on a dedicated giabit switch.

all devices are upgraded to fw 4.6.7.5.

the RBR is configured on AP mode, its wan uplink is going to my mikrotik router where i menage dhcp, nat , ppoe for connection etc etc..

what i can see .. the system is not so stable, and lot of time i got disconnected.. performance are not on top..

the mesh network is on 2.4 and 5 ghz.. and i have mised devices connectes but not more 20..

my house is about 100mq for floor.. and i have 3 floor.. one Orbi for every floor.

what do you suggest to check ? networking is ok between the orbi device , to router etc.. 

thanks

Message 284 of 460
cdp1276
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok that explains some. If your ISP modem is in router mode, this maybe a double NAT condition. 
Have you put the RBRs IP address it gets from the ISP modem in to the modems DMZ or IP-passthru feature? 

What is the brand and model# of this ISP modem? 

@cdp1276 wrote:

The xfinity ISP gateway is:

Model: CGM4331COM
Product Type: XB7

I have not put the RBR's IP address into the DMZ or pass-thru. Not sure why that is needed and can't be managed automatically as they will change. Can you clarify that?

Message 285 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

Posting there her for reference that mine is in Router mode and I don't see any memory creep though its only been a couple of days. 

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 11.22%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 337 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 2 days 23:13:23

I'll be putting my 8 series in AP mode and then monitor for creep. 

Message 286 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

This could also lead to seeing problems if you have the RBR in router mode with the ISP modem/router. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

@cdp1276 wrote:

I have not put the RBR's IP address into the DMZ or pass-thru. Not sure why that is needed and can't be managed automatically as they will change. Can you clarify that?

Message 287 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, Orbi 8 series in AP mode behind a CAX80 Gateway modem in router mode with it's wifi turned OFF. 

I have two networked switch segments connected to the back of the RBR. 

Both RBS are ethernet connected via NG GS 105/108 series LAN switches in betwen the RBR and RBS. 

RBRs WAN port is connected at 2.5Gb speed to the CAX80s multi-Gig LAN port. 

Basic Information

spc-circle: v

CPU Load: 18.13%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 303 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 00:28:43

WIll let this run for a few days and check on the usage here and there. 

Message 288 of 460
cdp1276
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

This could also lead to seeing problems if you have the RBR in router mode with the ISP modem/router. 

@cdp1276 wrote:

@cdp1276 wrote:

I'm not having any network issues in the house and performance is good. I tried putting the ISP xfinity XB7 in bridge mode and the orbi lost internet connection. This is likely as I have a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch that I use to increase # of 2.5 GB feeds to orbi and other computers that can take advantage of them given XB7 only has 1 port of 2.5 GB. So not sure I want to put orbi in AP mode or further make change that wont benefit me.

Message 289 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

@cdp1276 wrote:

I'm not having any network issues in the house and performance is good. I tried putting the ISP xfinity XB7 in bridge mode and the orbi lost internet connection. You have to power OFF both modem and RBR after you bridge the modem for 1 minute then back ON with the mdoem, then the RBR to make the modem connect to the RBR. This is likely as I have a TRENDnet 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5G Switch that I use to increase # of 2.5 GB feeds to orbi and other computers that can take advantage of them given XB7 only has 1 port of 2.5 GB. Ya, after you bridge the modem, move the switch to after the RBR when the modem is bridged and the RBR is in router mode.
Wondering if this configuration your using is causing memory creep for your system....

So not sure I want to put orbi in AP mode or further make change that wont benefit me. Up to you. 

Message 290 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

NOTICE TO ALL:

Please do NOT attempt to downgrade your Orbi systems from this version of FW back to v4.6.3.16 or anything older. 
Were seeing some users post that there systems are not functional or not working right at all after they downgrade using normal downgrade proceedures. 

If you system is not work right after updating FW, post here in the forums and we'll try to help you out and troubleshot the problems.

Leave the FW version on the system as is. 

I"ve passed this on to NG for review and information. 

Thank you. 

Message 291 of 460
Dd852
Luminary

I have always had ipv6 enabled but showing no signs of the memory creep. This firmware has settled down to be the best so far for me. Router+2 satellites in daisy chain. 1Gig in fiber. 

Basic Information

Firmware Version: V4.6.7.5_2.1.7

dumaos: v3.0.410

seal: v2.1.5.21-0

seal_services: v2.1.5.9-0

armor-bd: v2.2.100.3

spc-circle: v3.25.0.2

CPU Load: 10.84%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 342 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 13 days 15:41:22

Message 292 of 460
Garwoofoo
Apprentice

Here's mine currently:

Basic Information

armor-bd: v2.2.65.3

CPU Load: 13.97%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 411 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 6 days 16:11:28

Server Information

Router Analytics: PROD

CHP Cloud: PROD

XCloud: PROD

BD Cloud:

Circle Cloud: N/A

AnalyticOptinOptout: Enable

Interesting to note that the value I have for "armor-bd" (2.2.65.3) is different to the version others have posted (2.2.100.3). I don't know what this is or what it means. I don't use Netgear Armor, maybe it's something to do with that?

I also don't know what AnalyticOptinOptout is, or why it is enabled. Just clutching at straws here really trying to work out what's different about my setup that's causing the memory creep.

Message 293 of 460
Dd852
Luminary

I don't use armor either - none of the subscription services. 

Message 294 of 460
57ay
Apprentice

I also don’t use Armor and all is working fine. In my opinion the best firmware I have experienced on the RBK853 to date.

For those experiencing issues you should consider a backup and then a full reset, restore backup and test. If no different a full reset and fresh setup and test. If still issues maybe it’s a hardware fault!
Message 295 of 460
Flupke
Guide

I am very happy that the discussion now touches the topic of Armor subscription, as I suggested a couple of days ago.

While I had purchased the equipment (end of 2020), Armor was initially not functionning as expected and I actually spent hours over several months with NG helpdesk following which the issue was spotted and a firmware was released to fix it. (I btw got a complementary 12 months subscriptions to reward my efforts)

The router/satellites have been extremely stable both before and after that fix (for Armor).

An Septemberl 2021 - as far as I recall -, I noticed a firmware update was afaik forced (I had setup the settings to decide manually but was under the impression i wasn't respected), right? But I didn't notice any real issue. Configuration was still table.

Since then ...nothing has changed at firmware level but I faced more and more regular unstablity. At the same time, I saw new types of alerts being spotted by Armor such as detection of exrtenal "attacks" zttempts on a few ports and a message indicating it was "blocked". As I suppose that Armor is based on "an evolving set of rules / database", I wonder if this (only changing elements in the configuration) could not be the source of the occasional issues. Could it be that one or the other rule is leading to it? Could it be that BitDefender servers would face some unstability/overload? I cannot tell but this is something worth looking at.

Message 296 of 460
Chuck_M
Mentor

I started daily tracking of CPU load and memory usage with some interesting results.

Take a look at these two graphs:  Orbi Memory usage and Orbi CPU load.

There is no abnormal load on the Orbi - just normaly daily connectivity of normal devices. 

• Note the continual climb of memory usage since reboot (indicated in yellow). 
  • CPU load over the same period of time is relatively flat. 

This would indicate to me a memory leak in coding (as opposed to an increase in load).

The yellow in the graph indicates where I rebooted the Orbi (or it rebooted itself!)

If anyone wants a copy of this spreadsheet for their own monitoring I will be happy to send it to them.  (I only wish we could get it to auto populate daily!)

router 9 Feb.png

Notes: 

• All WIFI AX is turned off
  • Security is WPA2-PSK (AES) for wireless
  • Guest network is off
  • IGMP proxing is disabled
  • Router is DHCP Server
  • RIP Direction (Both, RIPV2 Disabled)
  • IP6, logging is all turned off.   
  • Acess Control disabled
  • No sites blocked
  • Services Never blocked
  • Nothing checked on Schedule page
  • No email notifications
  • Using Google NTP server (time.google.com)
  • Auto adjusting for DST
  • 20/30 MHz Coesistense is UNCHECKED
  • Enable WMM (wifi Multimedia settings) 2.4 g) is Checked
  • 2.4g CTS/RTS is 64
  • 2.4g Preamble is Auto
  • 2.5g Transmit Power is 50%
  • 5g enable WMM (wifi multimedia) is Checked
  • 5g Preable is Auto
  • 5g Transmit Power is 100%
  • I use a dynamic DNS (No-IP)
  • VPN service is disabled
  • No Static Routes
  • Always use HTTPS to acess router is DISABLED
  • UPNP is disabled
  • IP6 is disabled
  • Traffic meter is disabled
  • VLAN /Bridge is disabled
Message 297 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

May inidicate a HW issue as well. Others are reporting not seeing memory creep while some are. Other factors may contribute like ISP services and mode of RBR. Mine was in router mode for 3 days and didn't see much or any memory creep. I'm in AP Mode now to see if memory creep is seen as other have mentioned this while in thie mode. 

Message 298 of 460
Flupke
Guide

Is Armor service active?

Message 299 of 460
FURRYe38
Guru

So updating this as I seem to be noticing memory creep:

This morning before I left I checked and it was at 309Mb up from 303Mb when this first got online.

Checking just a few minutes ago the RBR is now at 319Mb. 

Orbi 8 series in AP mode is operating normally and not seeing any problems so far. 

Wireless Cameras and NEST Thermostat controls are online. 

Will continue to monitor. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

OK, Orbi 8 series in AP mode behind a CAX80 Gateway modem in router mode with it's wifi turned OFF. 

I have two networked switch segments connected to the back of the RBR. 

Both RBS are ethernet connected via NG GS 105/108 series LAN switches in betwen the RBR and RBS. 

RBRs WAN port is connected at 2.5Gb speed to the CAX80s multi-Gig LAN port. 

Basic Information

CPU Load: 18.13%

Memory Usage(Used/Total): 303 MB/874 MB

System Uptime: 0 days 00:28:43

WIll let this run for a few days and check on the usage here and there. 

Message 300 of 460
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7