Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 High-Performance Router (RBR753) lost satellite

Yank24
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 High-Performance Router (RBR753) lost satellite

I have the AX4200 with 3 units. Had been working fine but after an ISP issue the other day one of the satellites simply won't sync.

Main router is connected directly to my Xfinity modem (in bridge mode). The satellite that still works fine is a few rooms over and is connected wirelessly. The satellite that isn't working is setup upstairs and was on a wired connection to the main. 

Since the ISP outage the app home screen shows 1 of 2 satellites are online. When I click into the network map it shows green wired connection from Internet to Router, green wireless to the working satellite, and red wired to the upstairs satellite.

If I click into the upstairs satellite from the Network Map screen it shows with a purple/magenta dot but then also shows a bunch of connected devices with green dots. Switching over to Details shows the connection type as OFFLINE, but no option to remove the device.

Tried a hard reset of the upstairs satellite, but no luck. Tried wired and wireless reconnect and no luck. Tried taking the satellite to the room where the main router is and syncing there but no luck. For a little bit the satellite showed with a blue light on the device, and then when I tried the sync both the main and the satellite were slow pulsing in white, but that eventually stopped.

Tried to reset the satellite again and add it as a new device, but the app can't find it.

Would really love to avoid resetting the entire network but beginning to worry that's what I'll have to do. Any suggestions welcome.

ISP - Xfinity

Modem - xFi Gateway

Firmware version - V4.6.14.3

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the working RBS.

Bring the non working RBS to same room as RBR and wirelessly since it first to the RBR. Once it's fully synced, while in same room ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR. Check to see that it syncs fully via ethernet. Give about 5 minutes. Check the RBR web page and Orbi app. 

Try the working RBS at the ethernet RBS location. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Is there a LAN switch in between the RBS and RBR or LAN cable patch panel?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn OFF the working RBS.

Bring the non working RBS to same room as RBR and wirelessly since it first to the RBR. Once it's fully synced, while in same room ethernet connect the RBS to the back of the RBR. Check to see that it syncs fully via ethernet. Give about 5 minutes. Check the RBR web page and Orbi app. 

Try the working RBS at the ethernet RBS location. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Is there a LAN switch in between the RBS and RBR or LAN cable patch panel?

Message 2 of 8
Yank24
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions. Will try them tonight when my wife is not going to freak out about the network being down for a little bit 🙂

Oh, also... I have two switches but none between the RBR and the RBS. The RBS was wired directly to the RBR. There's a switch connected to the RBR as well, and that relays to my smart hub devices (hue, lutron, etc). And the working RBS also has a switch connected to it for the PS5 and a few other devices in my media room. 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 8
Yank24
Aspirant

Haven't had a chance to test yet, but have somewhat related questions.

I assume that if the RBS is on a wired connection, any devices that connect via wired to that RBS (via direct or via switch) will experience wired connection speeds. Is that true? 

Is there actually a benefit for any devices to be wired to an RBS (via direct or via switch) if that RBS is wirelessly connected to the RBR? The RBS in my media room is just a few feet away from my console and streaming boxes, so not sure if the wiring them to a wireless access point makes any difference.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Yank24 wrote:

Haven't had a chance to test yet, but have somewhat related questions.

I assume that if the RBS is on a wired connection, any devices that connect via wired to that RBS (via direct or via switch) will experience wired connection speeds. Is that true? Yes. 

Is there actually a benefit for any devices to be wired to an RBS (via direct or via switch) if that RBS is wirelessly connected to the RBR? The RBS in my media room is just a few feet away from my console and streaming boxes, so not sure if the wiring them to a wireless access point makes any difference. Something to try to compare findings to see what seems to work best.

Message 6 of 8
Yank24
Aspirant

Appreciate the tips, but I think I'm ultimately going to just do a full factory reset on all of them. Last time I tried to fix an edge issue I ended up taking the network down and then having to do the factory reset anyway. #FingersCrossed 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements