Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 Router (RBR750) doesn't detect internet connection

Paul2323B
Aspirant

Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 Router (RBR750) doesn't detect internet connection

My router isn't detecting the internet connection from my modem. However, I know the internet connection is good because I can use an ethernet cable to connect my PC to the modem and have access to the internet. I've tried all manner of reboots and factory resets for both the modem and the router to no avail. I feel like I've exhausted the options I'm aware of using. Does anyone have another suggestion to resolve this issue?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AX4200 WiFi 6 Router (RBR750) doesn't detect internet connection

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 7
Paul2323B
Aspirant

Firmware version: 4.6.7.13

ARRIS SB6190 modem (not provided by ISP [Comcast] but it is compatible with Comcast's signal)

Yes, the power off/on cycling has been completed since the last update.

I followed your instructions and the router cannot make an internet connection.

My computer is only functional with an ethernet connection from the modem.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the connection rate show on the Connection Status for the WAN port on the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab? 

What is the CAT# LAN cable between the modem and RBR? CAT6 is recommended.

Also, be aware that the SB6190 has a vulnerability and is not recommended. 

Message 4 of 7
Paul2323B
Aspirant

Thanks for your follow-up. Earlier this morning, I called Netgear Tech support and they were able to resolve the issue for me.

I wasn't aware that the SB6190 had a vulnerability. Thanks for sharing that information. I'll look at replacing it in the near future.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what NG support did to resolve this for you...Might be help for others to know. 

Message 6 of 7
Paul2323B
Aspirant

I needed to renew a tech support subscription to resolve the issue I was having with my Orbi router.

Netgear's tech support person performed remote diagnostics and assured me there was no hardware issue. He had me go through a series of steps to do a factory reset of my Orbi router (I had to depress the reset button for a full 60-seconds.) Then we did a web-based log-in for the router set-up because I could not detect an internet connection with the mobile app on my phone. The tech was patient and walked me through all of the various screens required to set up the router correctly. I confirmed that I had a Wi-Fi signal to my desktop and my wife's phone. However, I still did not have a connection on my phone. The tech said that was not unusual and that I should turn my phone off for 30-120 minutes. So I shut down my phone for a total of two hours. After which time, I powered it back up, opened my settings, went to Wi-Fi, opened information, touched "Forget this network," then let my phone find my Orbi network, and reentered my password and my phone connected to the internet.

However, my phone again dropped and could not reconnect to the internet the next day. After a quick check on the internet, I found a link to an article entitled "How to keep your iPhone from repeatedly dropping Wi-Fi network connections." Following the steps in this article, I reset my network connection, and I no longer have an issue with my phone dropping its connection to my Wi-Fi.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/01/11/how-to-your-iphone-repeatedly-dropping-wi-fi-network-conn...

Getting my router up and running took about 56-minutes of time on the telephone with NG tech support. And the time and money to get that support were well worth it to me.

The following email text and links were provided by Netgear support.

Thank you for contacting NETGEAR. I am happy that I was able to assist you in resolving your case today. Here are some NETGEAR articles that will provide helpful information and troubleshooting steps.

https://kb.netgear.com/22697/How-do-I-install-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

I hope that the KB link(s) I have provided will help you in the future. If you have any additional issues in the future, you may visit the following NETGEAR support portals to get assistance on your NETGEAR product

for free NETGEAR knowledge base

https://www.netgear.com/support

for free NETGEAR online community

https://community.netgear.com

for a free NETGEAR video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/c/netgear

Thanks and Regards,

Netgear

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies