Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBK753S Upload speed

bremmerd
Aspirant

Orbi RBK753S Upload speed

I just got the RBK753S system.  I'm on Verizon Fios with 1gb down/up speed.  With my new Orbi router, I am getting over 900 down and 900 up when tested at the router.  But when I test on my iPhone 11 Pro, I'm getting 500-600 down and only around 40 up.  (For reference,  my old router (Verizon quantum gateway) gave me 400 down and 400 up when also tested on my iPhone.)  

I'm not that concerned about the drop from 900 down (on router) to 500-600 down (on device), but the drop on the up speed as between router and device makes me think sometthing is configured incorrectly - especially since I was able to get much better upload speeds with my fios router.  Anyone know which settings to check?  I'm on the latest firmware.  I've toggled 20/40 MHz Coexistence based on some other forum posts, but that didn't seem to do anything.  Changing wifi channels didn't seem to do anything either.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What are your wired speeds results with a wired PC or laptop connected to the RBR? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? Built in router here? If so, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

You might try option #3...

What is the connection rate seen on the iphone connected to the RBR? Install wifi sweets spots app on the phone and see the rate.

Message 2 of 10
bremmerd
Aspirant

The only way I can connect directly to the Orbi router is with an older computer (10/100 ethernet?) and I am getting in the 90s for both download and upload.  Still higher than the 40s that I am getting over wifi for upload speed.

Firmware is 3.2.16.6_1.4.4.  I thought that was the latest.

I don't have a dedicated modem.  I am connected directly to the Verizon ONT via etherhent cable run from ONT to the Orbi router.  I'm not sure how to figure out which ONT I have (but it's wall mounted and internior, for what it's worth). I could be wrong but I didn't think it was a double NAT issue beucase I thought the Verizon ONT just sends out the internet signal like a modem, but maybe I'm misunderstanding how that works.  Is it different from ONT to ONT?

When I use WiFi sweetspots, I am getting around 400 download speed.  I can't figure out how to use that to check upload speeds - is that possible? 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Ok on the ONT. Just making sure there isnt any NAT here. Smiley Wink

Wifi sweet spots check the connection rate between the phone and the RBR only. This rate is the connetion rate, like a water pipe connected to a water hose. The bigger the pipe the better, however 400Mbps is kind of low for a newer generation iphone connecting to the RBR. 

I believe the iphone should be seeing 1300Mpbs or better. 

Does the RBRs web page show the frequency of the phone? Should 5G for 5Ghz.

Not sure if these will help however try disabling AX mode on the RBR,

Try changing CTS to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Do you have Armor enabled?

Message 4 of 10
bremmerd
Aspirant

I believe the software brought the firmware up to the latest version before any of the setup steps were performed during the initial set-up.  I can factory reset the router if that might help.  I assume I can use the same SSID/password as my current setup so I don't need to redo my 40 devices that I just put on the new network the other day?  

Interesting about sweetspot.  Yes, I am connected to the router via 5Ghz.  When I go within 3 feet from the router i can get it into the 500s but I never got higher than 600.

How do I disable AX mode?

I just changed CTS to 2347, but it does not seem to make a difference. 

Yes, Armor is turned ON.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes lets try a reset and setup from scratch. You can always use the same SSID name and PW. 

Lets try the setup and not enable Armor this time. 

AX mode is under Basic/Wireless settings.

Message 6 of 10
bremmerd
Aspirant

I reset everything.  It automatically installed armor - I don't think it gave me any option.

Similar speeds as to before.  Any ideas?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Hmm not sure. I guess the S is security and this model doesn't have the option to not install Armor. I know mine does. 
I would make contact with NG support. Seems there is something with this model Orbi and your wifi devices. 

Message 8 of 10
bremmerd
Aspirant

I was able to deactivate Armor from within the Orbi app.  That must have been the problem.  I am getting in the 400s for both upload and download.

I've love to understand why I am going from 900 downloand and 900 upload at the router to 400 a few feet away, but maybe I am just being greedy.  Maybe I will try and change channel or use some of the other suggesitons you mentioned above.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I was hoping. 

The main issue is that your phone is not connecting at higher connection rates to be able to achieve anything near 900Mpbs on the wifi.

My iphone 6sP only supports AC so it connects around 400Mpbs range:

iphoneConnRate.PNG

I presume your newer iphone should connect at a higher speed if it's supports AX wifi mode...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series