Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBKE963 daisy chain question

ih87
Aspirant

Orbi RBKE963 daisy chain question

Hello All!

Recently purchased a 3pack Orbi 960 with RBRE960 router and two RBSE satellites.  I'm wondering if there is a way to enable wireless daisy chain or is it auto negotiated?  I ask because to start, I set up the system (router and satellites) in relatively close proximity just to verify function.  Then I moved them apart in a multi-story home with concrete walls / floors (in a physical star layout) and had trouble syncing satellite to router.  

I did not try a daisy-chain physical layout yet since I wasn't sure if this is something that needs to be enabled or not.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Best,

ih

Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
ih87
Aspirant

Re: Orbi RBKE963 daisy chain question

Hi @plemans , @FURRYe38

Thank you both for your comments! I played some more with the physical layout and it appears that wireless daisy chain clearly works based on the network map when logged into the router admin!

Thanks again,
Best,
ih

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Last system that you could disable or enable DC was Orbi 20 thru 50 series. All Orbi AX systems are auto now. 

Message 2 of 13
plemans
Guru

It'll auto negotiate. And it tends to work pretty well. 

Are you having any issues with it? 

Message 3 of 13
ih87
Aspirant

Thanks @FURRYe38 !

In parallel I got in touch with tech support and they told me daisy chain topology would only work over wired and wireless is a few months away, potentially with a firmware release… this left me thoroughly confused. Perhaps the misunderstood my question?

Appreciate comments!

Kind Regards,
ih
Message 4 of 13
ih87
Aspirant

Hi @plemans , @FURRYe38

Thank you both for your comments! I played some more with the physical layout and it appears that wireless daisy chain clearly works based on the network map when logged into the router admin!

Thanks again,
Best,
ih
Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl, thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 13
ih87
Aspirant

Thanks again @FURRYe38 !

One more quick question:  There is a legacy, iPhone 6 in the household which is unable to connect to the new (Orbi) wifi?  Does this have anything to do with the fact that there is only one SSID broadcast (for 2.4, 5, and 6GHz) and the router negotiates which device goes where?  If so how do I remedy this?  Or maybe I'm missing something on the client side?

Thanks again for all your help!!

Best,

ih

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling the WiFi Private IP address feature if you see this on the phone. 

I have a 6sP however I don't remember giving it a try with my 9 series...I'd have to check it's iOS version. I use it for a iPod now days hehe. 

Do you have mixed mode WPA2 and WPA3 enabled on the RBR? 

Message 8 of 13
ih87
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 == Genius!!!!

Disabling private IP for that particular WiFi network worked -- thank you!

Yes, mixed mode WPA2 and 3 are enabled by default so I opted not to tinker with it!

Thanks again!

Best,

ih

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, kewl. Glad its working. 

I know in the early days of Orbi AX testing, mixed mode was there but found out that some older phones were not liking the mix. Glad that's working now. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 13
HaroldCarl
Tutor

Can Orbi RBKE960 Router use the 2.5gbps LAN port for backhaul, and use (2) or more 1gpbs ports for L

As a curious related question. Is anyone aware if the RBKE960 Router can simultaneously use the 2.5gbps LAN port for backhaul, and use (2) or more 1gpbs ports for LAG regarding the LAN? 

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can Orbi RBKE960 Router use the 2.5gbps LAN port for backhaul, and use (2) or more 1gpbs ports f

The RBRE960 User Manual mentions the word "aggregation" only in terms of the WAN interface.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBKE963/RBRE960_RBSE960_UM_EN.pdf 

This is only a guess, but perhaps a suitable solution would be to find a 2.5GB switch that supports port aggregation.

One port to the router 2.5GB port and two ports to whatever device that supports aggregation over gigabit ports (NAS?)

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can Orbi RBKE960 Router use the 2.5gbps LAN port for backhaul, and use (2) or more 1gpbs ports f

LAG on the LAN side is not supported on Orbi 9 series. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7