Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RBR 750 slow speed

AliceandScott
Aspirant

Orbi RBR 750 slow speed

Hi everyone, apologies for asking the same question as everyone else.  However, I had an IT person come to the house and he couldn't solve this problem either.

Orbi RBR 750

Computer: 2019 MacBook Pro

Modem: Ubiquiti UFiber Loco UF-LOCO

Firmware: V4.6.8.2

Home: 4000 sq feet on one floor

2 satellites, one of which is wired into the wall with a CAT6 ethernet cable.  All of the wiring in the house is CAT6.

From the app I see 942 down, 941 up (what I expect.)

Computer connected to modem via ethernet cable: 939 down, 936 up

Computer connected to RBR via ethernet cable: 899 down, 907 up

Computer wirelessly connected via mesh network 5 feet away from base station: 203 down, 479 up

I bought this unit at Costco 2 months ago, but it had been previously purchased by someone else and returned.  Is it possible I simply have a bad unit?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not seeing better speeds after the reset, RBR could be faulty. Return and find another. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@AliceandScott wrote:

Hi everyone, apologies for asking the same question as everyone else.  However, I had an IT person come to the house and he couldn't solve this problem either.

Orbi RBR 750

Computer: 2019 MacBook Pro

Modem: Ubiquiti UFiber Loco UF-LOCO

Firmware: V4.6.8.2

Home: 4000 sq feet on one floor

2 satellites, one of which is wired into the wall with a CAT6 ethernet cable.  All of the wiring in the house is CAT6.

From the app I see 942 down, 941 up (what I expect.)

Computer connected to modem via ethernet cable: 939 down, 936 up

Computer connected to RBR via ethernet cable: 899 down, 907 up

Computer wirelessly connected via mesh network 5 feet away from base station: 203 down, 479 up< What is the brand and model# of the wireless adapter in this PC. Some wireless adapters may only be a 2x2 MIMO configuration which in some cases will not see much past 500Mpbs. 4x4 MIMO devices can see near 900Mpbs or past that.

I bought this unit at Costco 2 months ago, but it had been previously purchased by someone else and returned.  Is it possible I simply have a bad unit?  If your wired speeds are good which they are, then this would not be a Orbi issue. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 2 of 10
AliceandScott
Aspirant

Hi @FURRYe38 -- thank you for your reply.

1) It is a MacBookPro 2019. MacBook Pro models from 2017-2019, which are all Intel-based, feature the standard 802.11 ac@5 GHz, which brings a maximum PHY data rate of up to 1300 Mbps.  My computer's wireless adaptor should not be the problem, since I have gotten over 1Gb/second in other networks. 

2) 4000 square feet house.  But, again, this should not be the issue- the computer was 3 feet from the router getting speeds of 203 down, 479 up.

3) The distance between the router and the satellite should not matter here because the satellite is wired into the ethernet of the house (the entire house is wired.) 

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

@AliceandScott wrote:

Hi @FURRYe38 -- thank you for your reply.

1) It is a MacBookPro 2019. MacBook Pro models from 2017-2019, which are all Intel-based, feature the standard 802.11 ac@5 GHz, which brings a maximum PHY data rate of up to 1300 Mbps.  My computer's wireless adaptor should not be the problem, since I have gotten over 1Gb/second in other networks. 

I've not seen over 1GB on my Mac Book Pro. Most i've ever seen with any wifi router is around 700Mpbs on 5Ghz AC. 

2) 4000 square feet house.  But, again, this should not be the issue- the computer was 3 feet from the router getting speeds of 203 down, 479 up.

To check this, be sure to turn OFF the RBS and then retest? 

3) The distance between the router and the satellite should not matter here because the satellite is wired into the ethernet of the house (the entire house is wired.) It does. Even if RBS are ethernet connect. Could be that your MBP is connecting to the farther RBS and not the RBS. Remember, it's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Even if your close to the router. 

Message 4 of 10
AliceandScott
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 thank you for this education- it will be helpful for others I am sure.

Disconnected satellites and no change whatsoever. (Actually slower)

Since I have a wired house would it make more sense to buy two Nighthawks and return the Orbi?

Thank you again
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch. Be sure to not enable any Armor or Smart Parental controls.

Set 40Mhz only and CTS to 2347 Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Set manual channels 1 and 40 or 11 and 48. 

Speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app on the Mac. 

You should be able to see around 700Mpbs with the RBR...

That's up to you. 

Message 6 of 10
AliceandScott
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

Ok.  Tried the factory reset.  Manually set channels.

No change.

Do you think the unit is defective?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not seeing better speeds after the reset, RBR could be faulty. Return and find another. 

Message 8 of 10
AliceandScott
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 Grateful for your advice..  Will buy another unit.  Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements