Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi RBR850 wireless settings with Nest gen 3 thermostat

r38305
Tutor

Orbi RBR850 wireless settings with Nest gen 3 thermostat

I've read several threads on this topic, but no cut and dry solution.  My NEST app shows my thermostat intermittently disconnected.  NG is escalating my call to second level, but so far no luck with support.  I've had no luck increasing CRS/RTS to 2347.  No luck disabling AX.  Anyone figure out this known issue with the Orbi wifi 6 router and the nest gen 3 thermostat?  

Some other notes:  I disabled my wifi from my ISP router/modem.  I tried enabling the NG Guest SSID for one of the two controllers thinking this could possibly get rid of the interference, but no luck.  Even when the NEST thermostats are connected when I change the temperature it takes a good length of time before it's reflected on the thermostat.  That tells me conflict exists and it's not making a good connection.   

Others have mentioned isolating 2.4ghz to a specific channel, but  I'm finding these units are almost always connected via 5 ghz.

I know a solution exists I just haven't found it yet.   Any insight would be appreciated.  

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi RBR850 wireless settings with Nest gen 3 thermostat

Is your nest powered off the "c" wire? or a 4 wire to 5 wire powered setup (using the power adapter)? 

I've seen reports of the nests that run using the standard wiring with a battery having frequent drops but that being resolved once the nest is powered full time. 

Message 2 of 8
r38305
Tutor

Both thermostats are being run on a 24 volt common C wire.   6 wire heat pump setup.   Currently both are showing 3.92 Volts.  Don't appear to have a battery issue.

Message 3 of 8
r38305
Tutor

One other note: The NEST app works perfectly if I switch to hotspot

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

You put you disabled wifi from the isp router. That doesn't disable its routing functions. Is the netgear in access point mode? or its address put in the isp's DMZ? (otherwise you're in a double nat)

Message 5 of 8
r38305
Tutor

I'm in router mode not AP mode.  My disabled wifi on the ISP router/modem has bridge mode enabled.   

Message 6 of 8
r38305
Tutor

It's looking like I've been able to isolate the problem to the ISP router/modem.  Upon removing the Orbi I'm having the same NEST disconnect issues running off the ISP wi-fi.  I'm either going to have to adjust the settings in the ISP gateway or get a new modem.

I'm surprised I can't bypass the ISP issues on bridge mode.  

Any suggestions for a compatible modem with the Orbi RBR850?  Or, any suggestions why my ISP router/modem is creating this issue?  It is an Arris DG9450

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Not sure why it'd be causing it. Do you get drops on the modem side of it? 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series