Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite disconnects periodically (1-4 times a day)

Jake_c123
Follower

Orbi Satellite disconnects periodically (1-4 times a day)

I've had this issue for quite a while - and have looked into my ISP thinking that was the issue.  After testing, it appears that the satellite connection is what drops, not the internet connection.

Also after looking into the console, I'm getting a backhaul status of Poor.

Here are my specs:

Hardware: RBR850 

Firmware: V4.6.9.11_2.3.5

GUI Language Version: V3.0.1.51_2.1.30.3

Operation mode: Router

DHCP: On

My satellite is roughly 40-60 ft away from the router, and is blocked by a few walls / upstairs floor.

I'm unable to move the satellite due to my house being built in a weird format, and I'm unable to move the router as the house was only built with one ethernet port.

Speeds are 254 down, 38 up from my computer plugged in via ethernet to the satellite.  (1k down, 100 up from router)

1st question:  Is the wifi simply dropping due to the physical set-up, and is there anything I can do aside from moving these to stop them from dropping?

2nd question:   What is backhaul status of poor, and is there any way to improve this outside of moving the setup?

If moving the setup is the only option, I would assume that buying a 2nd satellite and placing it between the router and original satellite would improve the connection - is that correct?

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite disconnects periodically (1-4 times a day)

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Can you move the RBS to say 30-35 feet away? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite disconnects periodically (1-4 times a day)

@Jake_c123 wrote:

1st question:  Is the wifi simply dropping due to the physical set-up, and is there anything I can do aside from moving these to stop them from dropping?

2nd question:   What is backhaul status of poor, and is there any way to improve this outside of moving the setup?

Backhaul status of "Poor" is not good.  Sometimes moving the router and/or satellite around a bit can create a path that avoids hidden obstacles inside walls that impede WiFi signals.  60 ft. may be a bit too much, depending on the building materials.

Yes, there is another way to improve the backhaul: connect the satellite with an Ethernet cable.  In my situation, I would LOVE to connect my satellites by cable, but the house construction makes it horribly impractical. 

There are also substitutes for physical cable:

• Powerline adapters which use the house electrical wiring.
  • MoCA adapters which use installed cable TV coax.

They both have the potential to create a stable backhaul, but once again, the electrical or cable TV wiring may not (a) be in the right places or (b) be in good enough condition.

@Jake_c123 wrote:

I would assume that buying a 2nd satellite and placing it between the router and original satellite would improve the connection - is that correct?

Yes. A second satellite will create a "Daisy Chain" of two radio links rather than one.  Each should have a stronger signal.  However, the satellite at the far end will have lower performance due to the two "hops" each transmission must make.

Depending on the internet speed from the ISP, you may or may not notice a difference.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7