Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellites reflecting "unknown" status on their IP web page

reedaf4
Aspirant

Orbi Satellites reflecting "unknown" status on their IP web page

ORBI RBR850 with 2 Orbi RBS850 satellites.

Firmware Version 7.2.6.21_5.0.20

I discovered an issue with the connected device information showing  under the IP addresses for both my Orbi satellites.  On each sateliites'  web page, there are several of my devices showing "unknown" status for several of my wireless devices.  Some show unknown status for the IP address, others show unknown information for the device's IP address, others show unknown status for both IP and device name..  Is there any way to fix this?

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellites reflecting "unknown" status on their IP web page

My guess is, "Nothing the customer can do."  And, it is not clear that anyone at Netgear gives a %$^$%.  This is what my old RBS50 satellite shows:

CrimpOn_0-1700095656259.png

With Netgear's desire to move customers from web administration to the Orbi 'app', I doubt there is much of a desire to devote software engineering time to solving this issue.  Anyway, the Attached Devices page on the router itself is probably accurate, correct?

Message 2 of 5
reedaf4
Aspirant

Yes, the router page has all devices' IP addresses and device names.  It is a shame if we can't get action taken for the upper end Netgear products.  Paid a lot of money for my MESH system, and I see the newer system like mine is just short of $2300.00, not including software add-ons and warranty protection.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Things like, "preaching to the choir" come to mind.  On the other hand, if my job was to allocate software engineering time to specific tasks, I might consider "how many customers log into the web interface of individual satellites to look at attached device information?"

• Some percentage of customers never look at their router information at all.  They do not even change the WiFi SSID from the default (ORBI+two digit number) or change the password.
  • Another percentage of customers use only the Orbi 'app' (mainly to change those two items and manage Armor and Smart Parental Controls)
  • Another percentage are forced to use the router web interface to manage advanced settings.
  • And then......

If the support people are clamoring about issues regarding, "Damn thing disconnects. I'm sending it BACK for a refund". If Best Buy is moaning, "why are so many customers unhappy about (this or that failure)"

And then, of course, Netgear keeps introducing new products (such as WiFi7).

Not to defend Netgear, but...............

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If any of these devices are phones or pads, Be sure to disable any MAC address randomizers on these devices while at home: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

BE sure FW is updated on the RBS and RBR as well.

Might try a factory reset and setup from scratch as well. 

Users are encouraged to report problems to NG support as well:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/about/contact-us/

@reedaf4 wrote:

ORBI RBR850 with 2 Orbi RBS850 satellites.

Firmware Version 7.2.6.21_5.0.20

I discovered an issue with the connected device information showing  under the IP addresses for both my Orbi satellites.  On each sateliites'  web page, there are several of my devices showing "unknown" status for several of my wireless devices.  Some show unknown status for the IP address, others show unknown information for the device's IP address, others show unknown status for both IP and device name..  Is there any way to fix this?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7