Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi VPN impact on internet speed

RobertHD
Guide

Orbi VPN impact on internet speed

Just installed the Orbi AX4200 RBR750 (Sorry. Not available as a selection from the Model dropdown.) with 2 satellites with a Verizon 1GB fiber service. AWESOME!!  Even my old Galaxy Note 8 is giving me 470Mbps. 

I'd like to take advantage of the Orbi router VPN feature. However, before the Orbi implementation, I used SurfShark as my VPN with the same 1GB fiber service on desktops, notebooks and mobile devices. The degredation of the speed was incredible. I've removed all  instances of SurfShark.

How will the Orbi VPN and client software affect the speed of my Windows and mobile Android devices?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi VPN impact on internet speed

Most any VPN seems to have some sort of impact on internet speeds as there is additional processing that has to happen while using VPN configurations. This has been a usual processing experience with some if not most VPN services. I presume there maybe some differences and maybe some that work better than others. Nature of the beast sometimes. Something to try out and see what you fine out. You can revert back if something happens. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series