Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbilogon stuck in password reset loop

n1david
Tutor

Orbilogon stuck in password reset loop

Newly-installed Orbi RBK752 system configured using the iOS app.  Now trying to access Orbilogin.com to get access to advanced settings.

When I enter Orbilogin.com on my Mac, I get taken to a Router Password Reset screen where I'm asked to enter the router serial number.  If I proceed with this, I enter a new password and security questions, and then it takes me back to the first Router Password Reset screen again.  I never get to the actual web interface for managing the network.

Any ideas?  I have tried on multiple machines and browsers.  Router firmware is 4.6.5.14_2.0.54

The website always reroutes to http://orbilogin.com/MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

To set up password recovery:
Launch an Internet browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
A login window opens.
Enter the router user name and password.
The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
The BASIC Home screen displays.
Select ADVANCED > Administration > Set Password.
The Set Password screen displays.
Select the Enable Password Recovery check box.
Select two security questions and provide answers to them.
Click the Apply button.
Your changes are saved.

If this fails, Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 19
n1david
Tutor

Thanks for the answer, @FURRYe38 but I am NOT trying to reset my password.  I know my password.  I am trying to access network management but I am being forced into password reset screens.  If I go into routerlogin.com then it sends me immediately to the password reset screens and not to the Basic home screen.  You've answered a problem I don't have.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you cleared out all browser caches from the browser prior to accessing the routers web pages?

Does this happen on a different browser? 

If nothing works, then try the last suggestion of a reset. 

Message 4 of 19
n1david
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Have you cleared out all browser caches from the browser prior to accessing the routers web pages?

Does this happen on a different browser? 

If nothing works, then try the last suggestion of a reset. 

As I said in my original posting, it happens on all browsers on all computers/devices regardless of whether they have accessed the site before.  I have tried a total of six computers, phones and tablets, and used Safari and Chrome.

I am reluctant to reset the whole router given I can do the simple management through the iOS app, so the router is working fine. 

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like the RBRs web page log in is in a bad state. At some point, you'll need to reset and setup from scratch on the RBR using a PC and web browser. Orbi app has been known to not fully set things up right. I don't use it during the setup process, always a wired PC and web browser first, then Orbi app afterwards. 

Message 6 of 19
Jrustad
Aspirant

I think that whoever is answering these questions isn't getting what is happening. I reset my router, after trying to get around the password change loop, it didn't work at all. 

It is still an issue, and resetting the router is not the solution. Please help. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 8 of 19
Jrustad
Aspirant

Your directions are spot on. Thanks. The challenge is, I get stuck in a reset password loop to reset my password on the web when I I try and get into the web version of the orbi tool. Good times. I tried to get to a resolution with the telephone support, it was such a bad connection I could t understand what they had to say. I asked that they email me a solution. Haven’t heard back yet. One thing I will try is to sign I using a windows machine. Nothing on the max side works regardless of browser, iMac, iPhone, iPad. Good times. $1k in lights to program. 🙂
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 19
Mikey94025
Hero

@n1david wrote:

When I enter Orbilogin.com on my Mac, I get taken to a Router Password Reset screen where I'm asked to enter the router serial number.  If I proceed with this, I enter a new password and security questions, and then it takes me back to the first Router Password Reset screen again.  I never get to the actual web interface for managing the network.

Any ideas?  I have tried on multiple machines and browsers.  Router firmware is 4.6.5.14_2.0.54

The website always reroutes to http://orbilogin.com/MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm

When you go to http://orbilogin.com/ your browser should be prompting for username/password input, but in your case the browser seems to be automatically receiving bad input and immediately going to the next step.  Do you have a password manager, or something like that, installed on on your devices that might be applying the wrong password?  We're puzzled because what you describe is not explainable.  It may be unlikely that support is going to be able to just give you a solution via email, thus our attempts to ask Q&A and diagnose what's going on.

Can you try an incognito or private browser window on one of your desktop browsers, like in Chrome?  Also try installing one of the other Mac desktop browsers, that you don't already use, and running it vanilla, e.g., Safari vs. Chrome vs. Firefox.

Message 10 of 19
cheddabobb
Aspirant

Having the same issue. Netgear doesn't realize it's just average users who aren't IT geniuses using their products. You would think something like being able to log into orbi settings would just work. I have the SAME issue where it's stuck in a loop. I would have to purchase support service in order to get assistance on one stupid issue. 

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in for 15 seconds then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

@cheddabobb wrote:

Having the same issue. Netgear doesn't realize it's just average users who aren't IT geniuses using their products. You would think something like being able to log into orbi settings would just work. I have the SAME issue where it's stuck in a loop. I would have to purchase support service in order to get assistance on one stupid issue. 

Message 12 of 19
ianrickey
Aspirant

This. For some unknown reason my Orbi mesh does this same thing all the time. All the time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can do the whole reset thing - but that really stinks. I have a home network with lots of devices, maybe 30 with assigned IP's so my work-from-home-business continues to work. Doing resets shuts everything down. 

So here's the thing: I spent $700 for a system to work for me and not me constantly having to work to keep it reliable. This pisses me off that I have to do this recovery all the fracking time. And stop blaming Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Brave browsers, it's not the browsers fault and you all know it. It's Netgear's job to maintain browser compatibility, not my to constantly run Developer's window/console in the browser to check if the Orbi decides to defecate the bed today.

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using?

Try this, Reboot the RBR, while it's rebooting clear ALL browser caches, close the browser, re-open the browser then try and access the RBRs web page. 

I've only seen this a few times and this usually helps. Or try a different browser. MS Edge, Firefox or Opera always work for me. I also let the browser save the log in info so I don't have to type it in . 

@ianrickey wrote:

This. For some unknown reason my Orbi mesh does this same thing all the time. All the time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can do the whole reset thing - but that really stinks. I have a home network with lots of devices, maybe 30 with assigned IP's so my work-from-home-business continues to work. Doing resets shuts everything down. 

So here's the thing: I spent $700 for a system to work for me and not me constantly having to work to keep it reliable. This pisses me off that I have to do this recovery all the fracking time. And stop blaming Safari/Chrome/Firefox/Opera/Brave browsers, it's not the browsers fault and you all know it. It's Netgear's job to maintain browser compatibility, not my to constantly run Developer's window/console in the browser to check if the Orbi decides to defecate the bed today.

Message 14 of 19
Justifi
Aspirant

I found that if I log in with my wifi name and password that I get sent to the password reset screen. If I log in with my admin username and password, I'm allowed access to the settings directly.

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ianrickey wrote:

Message 16 of 19
c0t0d0s0
Aspirant

Try going to your router’s index page directly, e.g. http://192.186.1.1/index.html

Just going to the IP gets me the same redirect you get, implicitly stating the path to the page itself works. Bad config on the web server IMHO.
Message 17 of 19
Pableaux
Aspirant

I have the same "do" loop as the original post.  I could not see any solutions in the subsequent post. I just type in the serial number and reset my password every time I login.  what a waste.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and if you save a saved PW profile in the browser for 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com then remove these then once you get the admin log in setup again, then choose to save the new log in and PW configuration into the browsers PW profile configuration. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7