Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Plugging devices into Ethernet Ports on Orbi Mesh SATELLITES and Network Security Model: RBK753S

bigandrich
Aspirant

Plugging devices into Ethernet Ports on Orbi Mesh SATELLITES and Network Security Model: RBK753S

Orbi Mesh Tri-Band Wifi 6    Model: RBK753S

I want to know all about plugging in devices into the ethernet ports on my satellites. 

1. Where do i go in my admin Orbi dashboard page to see these connections?

2. Do i need to toggle a setting to enable these connections? Or does someone only need to plug in and will immediately have access to the internet? Is there a way to disable these ports in my admin? 

3. When that device is plugged in to the satellite, will it be tapping into the guest network or will it be tapping into my main network? 

4. What potential vulnerabilities do I need to be aware of, in the case that a device is plugged into the satellite, and it IS in fact tapping into the main network?

Security, Guest Network, and Parental Controls (SPC)

5. My intent is to have the family all use the guest network, for security reasons. Is it irrational to have it this way? My son is into gaming and there is a game out there called Valorant that requires a rootkit be installed on his desktop in order to "prevent cheating". I do not trust the developers of this program, nor do i trust much of anything my son has downloaded. I want to prevent him from using a hard connection to our satellites especially in the case that the ethernet ports allow access to our main network. 

6. Currently, Netgear only allows Circle and Netgear's proprietary parental controls to manage the main network. It does not allow management of the guest network. WTF? So in order to manage my son's internet usage, he must be on the main network. Am i irrational in the belief that in order to have a secure network, that a potentially compromised device should remain on the guest network? 

I know that was alot of questions and I really appreciate you taking the time for any answers and solutions you may have for me. Even if you were to point me in the right direction to get this information, i would be very grateful!

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Plugging devices into Ethernet Ports on Orbi Mesh SATELLITES and Network Security Model: RBK753S

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@bigandrich wrote:

Orbi Mesh Tri-Band Wifi 6    Model: RBK753S

I want to know all about plugging in devices into the ethernet ports on my satellites. 

1. Where do i go in my admin Orbi dashboard page to see these connections? Connected Devices or on the RBS web pages as well under connected devices. 

2. Do i need to toggle a setting to enable these connections? No. Or does someone only need to plug in and will immediately have access to the internet? Yes. Is there a way to disable these ports in my admin? No. 

3. When that device is plugged in to the satellite, will it be tapping into the guest network or will it be tapping into my main network? Main Network. Guest Network is wifi only. 

4. What potential vulnerabilities do I need to be aware of, in the case that a device is plugged into the satellite, and it IS in fact tapping into the main network? Only if you allow nefarious users to connect to your LAN side network, could something happen. 

Security, Guest Network, and Parental Controls (SPC)

5. My intent is to have the family all use the guest network, for security reasons. Is it irrational to have it this way? Yes. Using the Guest Network for in home connections for primary uses is not fuly protected by the Main LAN side firewall thus devices on the Guest Network could be compromized. Guest Network is meant for limited/shorterm usefor those who visit on a short time frame and just need access to internet resources.

My son is into gaming and there is a game out there called Valorant that requires a rootkit be installed on his desktop in order to "prevent cheating". I do not trust the developers of this program, nor do i trust much of anything my son has downloaded. I want to prevent him from using a hard connection to our satellites especially in the case that the ethernet ports allow access to our main network. 

6. Currently, Netgear only allows Circle and Netgear's proprietary parental controls to manage the main network. It does not allow management of the guest network. Guest Network is a WAN side access that is not tied to the LAN side resources thus there is nothing to manage security or firewall featuers for Guest Network. How GN works on most wifi routers. If you want security and firewall feature to be used, then you need to connect to the LAN side connections and not Guest Network.

WTF? So in order to manage my son's internet usage, he must be on the main network. Am i irrational in the belief that in order to have a secure network, that a potentially compromised device should remain on the guest network? Or don't allow it on your network. 

I know that was alot of questions and I really appreciate you taking the time for any answers and solutions you may have for me. Even if you were to point me in the right direction to get this information, i would be very grateful!

Message 3 of 5
bigandrich
Aspirant

Hey thank you for your answers! Is it possible to partition the LAN side so that nothing nefarious from my son’s computer can reach any of our other devices on the LAN?
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Not on Orbi home systems. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7