Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBK753 / AX4200 - 2.4ghz devices skipping satellite and connecting to main router

alex81388
Aspirant

RBK753 / AX4200 - 2.4ghz devices skipping satellite and connecting to main router

As the subject says, I have the following design, which is also linear in layout physically:

Router <=========> Satellite <===========> Cam

The Cam is connecting all the way to the router over 2.4ghz (had to turn off AX to get it to even connect). Why is this happening? The connection is shaky but would be very solid if the satellite would take it.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753 / AX4200 - 2.4ghzdevices skipping satellite and connecting to main router

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBK753 / AX4200 - 2.4ghzdevices skipping satellite and connecting to main router

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 4
alex81388
Aspirant

V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

2200sqft. I'm going after a camera across the yard. Router is in the front. Satellite is in the back, and the cam is across the backyard. I clear the 30 ft.

I turned the 2.4ghz radio down to 50% as you suggested. After giving it a minute to figure it out the satellite did take it over! So that is a success. I will have to monitor if the 50% strength of the satelitte is better than 100% from the router. The cam transfer speed isn't impressive, however it hasn't dropped since this change so definitely an improvement. Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to wifi devices to pick and choose which signal source they connect too. Glad adjusting the power on the RBR seems to have helped. 

Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy, Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7