Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR 850 radio frequency and other issues

Greybeard68
Aspirant

RBR 850 radio frequency and other issues

I have a 3 node RBR 850 Router+ 2 Satellites.   It is running the latest firmware version (3.2.17.12).   I have a number of questions:

1) does the router automatically update the firmware on the Satellites?   If so,  why are my satellites still at the previous version after 3 days

2) I have a gigabit FIOS network so I had to put the Orbi router into AP mode.   It seems to work but only if I plug the ethernet cable into the WAN yellow slot on the back of the router.   I can't tell if that's normal but if I try the Lan ports/slots,  it doesn't seem to work.

3) I have had some issues with my FIOS connection every once in a while..  when the connection drops,  the Orbi router seems to take several hours after coming back (especially if there are power problems) to settle and give me decent internet speeds.   It seems to take that long for it to restore and search for the proper radio frequencies that optimize throughput.   However,  it doesn't say anything about that in any of the documentation I have read.   early on in the process,  the speeds are dismal and connection lag is atrocious.   If I let it 'settle' for 12 hours,  it seems to come back to normal..  Does anyone know if that is actually the case or there is something wrong with my Router/Satellites ??

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@Greybeard68 wrote:

I have a 3 node RBR 850 Router+ 2 Satellites.   It is running the latest firmware version (3.2.17.12).   I have a number of questions:

1) does the router automatically update the firmware on the Satellites?   If so,  why are my satellites still at the previous version after 3 days

IF NG pushed the update then all should have. If you used the RBRs web page and selected UPDATE ALL the RBS should have updated. If you only manually updated the RBR, then you can manually update the RBS by downloading the FW file for the RBS and manually log into the RBS web pages and update them there 

2) I have a gigabit FIOS network so I had to put the Orbi router into AP mode.   It seems to work but only if I plug the ethernet cable into the WAN yellow slot on the back of the router.   I can't tell if that's normal but if I try the Lan ports/slots,  it doesn't seem to work.

In router or AP mode, the WAN port on the RBR will be always used for either mode.

3) I have had some issues with my FIOS connection every once in a while..  when the connection drops,  the Orbi router seems to take several hours after coming back (especially if there are power problems) to settle and give me decent internet speeds.   It seems to take that long for it to restore and search for the proper radio frequencies that optimize throughput.   However,  it doesn't say anything about that in any of the documentation I have read.   early on in the process,  the speeds are dismal and connection lag is atrocious.   If I let it 'settle' for 12 hours,  it seems to come back to normal..  Does anyone know if that is actually the case or there is something wrong with my Router/Satellites ?? IF the ISP service or there device drops the service and returnes, it's best to power OFF the RBR for 30 seconds then back on. 

For ISP modems/ONT with build in wifi and routers: 

our ISP Modem already has a build in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 4
Greybeard68
Aspirant

Thanks for all the info. All makes sense. I already have the Orbi router in AP mode so I’m assuming the double NAT issue is not a problem. Let me know if it is. Also, I may try bypassing their router and hooking directly into their ONT eventually.
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

No double NAT issue in AP mode.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements