Re: RBR750 wifi not supplying internet to devices connected to it. Odd Problem

nickbeamon
Aspirant

RBR750 wifi not supplying internet to devices connected to it. Odd Problem

RBR750
Firmware V4.6.8.2_2.1.9
2 Satellites RBS750

I just factory reset last night and that did not fix any issues

Ok this is frustrating the heck out of me. This has been happening for the last 2 weeks and because of life i have not had too much time to troubleshoot.

Devices connected to the router and the satellites are showing no internet errors or in the cases of media like roku just not working. 

There will be times when devices connected to one of the satellite might be offline when devices connected to the router via wifi are working and as i found out last night it can also be the opposite. Devices connected to satellite have internet when others  connected to the router do not.

There seems to be nothing that is triggering this at times and at others when a new device connects to the network it triggers.

Last night one of the kids laptops that sits right next to the router lost internet while I was hard wired in to a satellite still going strong. I plugged her laptop into the router and it worked hardwired. then the rest of the devices wifi connected lost their internet while the hardwired laptop was still connected. After about an hour the rest of the wireless regained internet.

I have directly plugged into the cable modem and it is working during all of this.

The router is giving out IP addresses and when the no internet is going on looking at network settings you are not able to get into the router via web console. The odd thing is when this does happen somehow the app still allows  me to access it.

I have checked and my dhcp scope is starting ip is .2 to .254 so should have no issues with the dhcp scope.

I am hoping you can help as I purchased these in 2020 and i would like not to drop another 4-500 bucks on a mesh system.

Message 1 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What all devices do you have connected to the Orbi system? 

Also you might try updating FW as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Message 2 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

modem e31n2v1 Hitron tech inc doc515 3.1 emta

Home is 2500sf

both of the satellites are more than 30ft away.

devices connected are multiple laptops, PCs, ring, multiple roku, smart TVs, Nintendo switch, apple phones , and wireless printers. i might have missed something but really your average home devices.

This mesh system has been running rock solid for a few years now in exact placement of where its sitting.

I will try the firmware when i checked for new firmware i did not go looking for a manual option.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, you really only need the RBR and 1 RBS. 

I would turn OFF one RBS and see what happens. Or turn down the power on the RBR from 100% to 25%. 

Manual option is mentioned in the post. 

Message 4 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@nickbeamon wrote:

I will try the firmware when i checked for new firmware i did not go looking for a manual option.

The link provided by @FURRYe38 is to the firmware download page of the latest version.  This firmware appeared within the last week, and the Orbi software does not detect it as being available yet.  After downloading the installation files from that web page and 'unzipping' them to extract the actual firmware files, navigate to the Firmware Update, Manual Update tab and follow the directions to load firmware, starting with the satellites first.

I don't know if updating firmware will solve whatever is wrong, but it certainly should not hurt and one of the first things people suggest when customers have issues is to update firmware.

Message 5 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@nickbeamon wrote:

I have directly plugged into the cable modem and it is working during all of this.

This is not (literally) correct, is it?  i.e. the Hitron modem has only one ethernet jack which can be connected either to the Orbi router or to a computer, but not both at the same time.

@nickbeamon wrote:

dhcp scope is starting ip is .2 to .254 so should have no issues with the dhcp scope.

Do any devices have IP addresses assigned to them on the LAN Setup page?

When this happens again, would it be convenient to perform a brief experiment?

There is a difference between having "no internet" and not being able to resolve Domain Names into IP addresses.

• Open a command prompt.
  • Type the command ping ford.com
    (Does it report a sequence of four connections?)
  • If the ping fails, type the command ping 19.12.113.37
    (if this works, then there definitely IS "internet" and the problem is something is wrong with DNS resolution.)
    (If this also fails, that would support there being "no internet".)

Message 6 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

No to test the modem I unplugged from the Orbi and plugged into a laptop during one of outages to test and modem was good.

I have not checked to see if it’s a dns issue because of that.

Nothing is static on my network.
Message 7 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

I just updated the firmware manually and am still experiencing the same issues.

I have tried unplugging one satellite also with no changes to it not working. The other odd thing is it is assigning my pc an up address but I can’t ping the router(default gateway) my main pc is directly plugged into one of the satellites.

This is a head scratcher, I’m replying on my iPhone that’s not on network at the moment because my main pc is offline, but my kids watching Moana on the Roku in the room I’m in with bo issues
Message 8 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

looks like a nail in the coffin on this one. I registered the equipment on 5-25-

2021 so i lost all the warranty on 8-25-2022

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, you really only need the RBR and 1 RBS. 

I would turn OFF one RBS and see what happens. Or turn down the power on the RBR from 100% to 25%. 

Have you updated FW yet? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4...

Message 10 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

I have tried running a full day on just the RBR and 1 RBS still have same issues with wireless devices with no internet

Setting the power range down still had same problems

Firmware has been upgraded with same issues after.

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you may have a faulty Orbi system. I would contacf NG support and ask about another Orbi system as a RMA to see if another system solves this problem:

https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

If another system does same thing, I would look at the ISP services and try replacing the ISP modem. 

Message 12 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

well I would contact support but when putting in the S/N this is what i get from their website

Standard Product Warranty

Hardware-Expired On 2022-05-25

Chat Support-Expired On 2021-08-23

Phone Support-Expired On 2021-08-23

Email Support-Expired On 2021-08-23

Power Supply-Expired On 2022-05-25

Accessories-Expired On 2022-05-25

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the RBR do same thing with ALL RBS turned OFF? 

I would try the system at a different location, say friend, family or neighbors if you can. See if the problem follows. 

Try a different modem.

Message 14 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

"If another system does same thing, I would look at the ISP services and try replacing the ISP modem."

With the issues that have been coming up.

• Devices wireless connected to the RBSs losing internet while devices connected to RBR still having internet.
  • The exact opposite devices wireless connected to RBR no internet while devices connected to RBS are fine.
  • All wireless devices connected with no internet and then plugging hard lined into RBR with ethernet connection and internet working
  • I have unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back of the RBR and plugged it into a laptop during one of the no internet messages and right off the modem the laptop was able to resolve IP address and internet connection.
  • All devices connected have an IP address but when problem occurs you can release and renew in command prompt get a fresh ip and still not be able to ping the default gateway/RBR
  • no difference in pinging websites names vs their ip addresses so not DNS related
  • Firmware updated to newest with no change in issues
Message 15 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

"Does the RBR do same thing with ALL RBS turned OFF"

I have unplugged both at same time, unplugged one at one location then did the opposite with the other. They have both been of while other was on and all off at same time.

I have plugged the cable modem into one of the other locations at the far end of the house with the RBR also.

Message 16 of 19
nickbeamon
Aspirant

Possible solution i have now found out. Purchased the mesh system at Costco.

There is more on their site but this has given me hope. Lucky for me I am a wierdo that likes to save boxes for all the more expensive computer components I have purchased just in case I need to RMA anything.

Costco Router & Modem Return Policy In 2022

Costco’s return policy allows members to return routers and modems at any time after purchase due to Costco’s lifetime guarantee. To return a modem or router to Costco, bring in the device, accessories, and packaging (if you have it) to receive a refund/store credit. Costco can look up past purchases via membership cards.

Message 17 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 18 of 19
iyang
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @nickbeamon ,

Does all connected devices (multiple laptops, PCs, ring, multiple roku, smart TVs, Nintendo switch, apple phones , and wireless printers) encounter the issues ?

Thanks.

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series