Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 Occasionnaly Loss of Internet When Switching Floors

socc3rpr0
Tutor

RBR850 Occasionnaly Loss of Internet When Switching Floors

My cable provider is Xfinity and my internet comes through coax. My modem/router is a Netgear AC1600 which has the router mode turned off so it should only be acting as a modem. I bought the Netgear Orbi AX6000 3 pack that comes with a router and two satellites. My house is 2,500 square feet and I have my router next to my modem on the first floor living room which is on the side of the house. One of the satellites is on the second floor on the opposite side from where the router is located. The second satellite is in the basement on the opposite side from where the router is located on the first floor.

• Orbi router firmware version 3.2.16.22_1.4.9
  • Orbi satellites firmware version 3.2.16.22
  • Orbi Armor is disabled
  • WiFi Channels are fixed so that they don’t interfere with other WiFi channels around me (I am isolated here)

Occasionally people who hang out in the basement, as we have a small office, come to the first floor with their laptops their WiFi will show its connected to our house WiFi network but they do not have internet meaning on Google Chrome their web pages will not ever load. Nothing works for them. If they go back to the basement, they still do not have internet access. It will magically fix itself as the day goes on without us turning off all the network gear or anything since, we cannot in the middle of the day as everyone else in the house using it and it works for them.

I am out of ideas as what to do and I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

•  Having them turn off their WiFi completely on their laptops and wait a minute and turn it back on (No luck)
  • Restart their computer (No luck)
  • Flush their windows DNS cache (No luck)
  • Renew their IP address (No luck)

* Any idea as to why this happens?

* Anything I could try?

* Is there any info I could retrieve from devices when this symptom happens to help me understand the problem better?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 Occasionnaly Loss of Internet When Switching Floors

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Set CTS to 2347. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I see you have Armor disabled.

Try setting manual channel 40 on 5Ghz...

Message 3 of 7
socc3rpr0
Tutor

The house is 2500 sq ft. I do have the 2.4GHz/5GHz set to a manaul channels that aren't being used around my area(I used the netgear wifi analytics app for this). My satellites are > 30 ft away from each other and the router. 

• Armor is disabled since Day 1 of purchase
  • Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only -- what does this do?
  • Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes -- what does this do?
  • Set CTS to 2347 -- what does this do? 

Could you point me or give me a breaf explaination of what the above settings will do or point me to where I can read on these settings?

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might try setting the RBS a tad bit closer to see. 

ALso maybe a client hardware issue as there maybe some lose at the client side when roaming and these devices don't re-connect well. 

@socc3rpr0 wrote:

The house is 2500 sq ft. I do have the 2.4GHz/5GHz set to a manaul channels that aren't being used around my area(I used the netgear wifi analytics app for this). My satellites are > 30 ft away from each other and the router. 

Could you point me or give me a breaf explaination of what the above settings will do or point me to where I can read on these settings?

Message 5 of 7
socc3rpr0
Tutor

Thanks for those links. Definately learned something new. 

I took a step back and powered off my satellites and only had my Orbi router online and walked around my house and took speed test measurements. I've found out that the Orbi satellite that was in the basement, which was located in my office, wasn't needed there as the speed test showed I had strong signal just from the router located on the first floor. I ended up moving it further away where there was a deaspot on the far side of the house. 

So maybe my problem was that my router/satellite that was in the basement where too close to each other. Anyways, its hard to recreate the problem so I will have to see if that fixes the problem of devices that are usually downstairs and come upstairs lose internet connection. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, one thing I've noticed with Orbi systems, there pretty powerful. Even for my 4000sq ft home, I can use just the RBR and 1 RBS alone and get great coverage. 1 RBS in the basement as well. I have two RBS online now however I have the RBRs power output set to 50%. Seems to work well with the two RBS online. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7