Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR850 / RBS850 | Wired Backhaul | Satellite Limited to 100Mbps

ArcaneAnomie
Aspirant

RBR850 / RBS850 | Wired Backhaul | Satellite Limited to 100Mbps

Hoping someone else has had this issue and may be able to steer me in the correct direction.

I have an Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 setup. The RBS850 is wired to the RBR850 via in-home ethernet wiring using the Orbi Wired Backhaul setup. I have ATT Gigabit service, and I do see the ~900 / 900 from the router speed test admin page and via directly wiring to the RBR850 with a computer.

After a period of time (usually about an hour), the RBS850 limits WiFi speed to about ~100Mbps (97-98 download and upload). Rebooting the RBS850 will return WiFi to around ~300-400 Mbps for a short period of time, and then it will go back to this limited ~100Mbps speed. I've searched the forums/reddit for similar issues, and I applied some minor "Advanced Wireless Settings" tweaks based on others issues (screenshot attached to this post). This didn't actually help though. Speeds returned to ~100Mbps after the satellite had been online for a bit.

Of course, I am out of warranty therefore I'm hoping there's an actual solution here other than the satellite is toast, and I'm stuck with a lackluster satellite.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
behtyas
Initiate

Re: RBR850 / RBS850 | Wired Backhaul | Satellite Limited to 100Mbps

100% agree with plemans. I had this exact same issue and was banging my head almost literally againt the wall to solve this. It turned out to be a small 1.5Ft patch panel cable that must have had a tempermental break or termination. I replaced it (while trying to troubleshoot the in-wall cable) and suddenly the issue was gone permanently. Replaced that patch cable and I haven't had an issue again since.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You said "through in home wiring". 

I've seen numerous times where in home wiring had issues either with cheaper cable used or with ends that weren't crimped right/well enough and caused speeds to drop from gigabit to 10/100mbps connections. 

Any chance you have a 100ft ethernet cable laying around? 
Or even just one log enough to hardwire in the satellite with a known good cable?

That way you can check if its actually a satellite issue or just a cable connect not being the issue. 

Or even if you're using a switch in between the router---satellite to remove it for testing. 

Message 2 of 7
behtyas
Initiate

100% agree with plemans. I had this exact same issue and was banging my head almost literally againt the wall to solve this. It turned out to be a small 1.5Ft patch panel cable that must have had a tempermental break or termination. I replaced it (while trying to troubleshoot the in-wall cable) and suddenly the issue was gone permanently. Replaced that patch cable and I haven't had an issue again since.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

CAT6 is recommended LAN cable type. 

@ArcaneAnomie wrote:

Hoping someone else has had this issue and may be able to steer me in the correct direction.

I have an Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 setup. The RBS850 is wired to the RBR850 via in-home ethernet wiring using the Orbi Wired Backhaul setup. I have ATT Gigabit service, and I do see the ~900 / 900 from the router speed test admin page and via directly wiring to the RBR850 with a computer.

After a period of time (usually about an hour), the RBS850 limits WiFi speed to about ~100Mbps (97-98 download and upload). Rebooting the RBS850 will return WiFi to around ~300-400 Mbps for a short period of time, and then it will go back to this limited ~100Mbps speed. I've searched the forums/reddit for similar issues, and I applied some minor "Advanced Wireless Settings" tweaks based on others issues (screenshot attached to this post). This didn't actually help though. Speeds returned to ~100Mbps after the satellite had been online for a bit.

Of course, I am out of warranty therefore I'm hoping there's an actual solution here other than the satellite is toast, and I'm stuck with a lackluster satellite.

Message 4 of 7
ArcaneAnomie
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses, folks.

Swapping out the patch cable from the wall to the satellite seems to have made a remarkable difference. So frustrated that I didn't try this sooner.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

Glad it was a simple fix!

surprising how frequently the little cables or the ends on cables go bad. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7