Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR850 providing 900+Mbps ethernet but only 25Mbps wifi to various devices...very slow wifi!

zinca
Guide

RBR850 providing 900+Mbps ethernet but only 25Mbps wifi to various devices...very slow wifi!

As explained in the title, my wifi is very slow for no clear reason even after factory reset and latest firmware, using very recent high end wifi clients that should be much faster! In the past these devices provided at least 200-300 Mbps with same Orbi setup (earlier versions of firwware, etc.)

Suggestions?!?

Here are some details:

Model: RBR850
Current verions of firmware: 4.6.3.16_2.0.51
Completed factory reset, then reloaded saved config file made immediately beforehand with same firmware version in effect
Orbi tested download speed in excess of 944 Mbps, and wired ethernet speed in excess of 900 Mbps

5G channels: both 36 and 48 tried (wifi tool shows no interference from any neighbors at all on 5G)

AX features enabled for 5G only

CTS RTS at 2347 for both
short preamble mode selected for both
100% power control for both
WMM enabled for 5G

Home size 3000 sq ft - but tested conducted very close to Orbi unit
Wifi download speeds on Galaxy S21 and Ipad Pro using 5G wife connections below 30 Mbps even when within a few feet of Orbi base.

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR850 providing 900+Mbps ethernet but only 25Mbps wifi to various devices...very slow wifi!

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

I would not not reloaded the saved config file after the reset and setup from scratch. 

Heres what i have on mine:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-Online-Update-4-6-3-16-RBR850-RB...

Message 2 of 3
zinca
Guide

You pose an interesting question, but it is difficult to see the relevance of the cable modem given that the ORBI unit and all devices attached with a wired connection enjoy a blazing fast speed which never changed throughout this entire process.

The only slowdown was the wifi connections, and it was all of them not just some. But, lo and behold, without any further changes, updates, adjustments, or tweaks that I am aware of the situation resolved itself (within a day) and now the phones and Ipads ALL get over 800Mbps download speeds. The substantive steps I took were to save the config file (primarily so I would not have to re-enter several dozen reserved IP addresses), unplug the single satellite, select 'reset to factory' from the web page under the Advanced settings. After the main unit booted back up and appeared stable, I unplugged the cable modem for 30 seconds before rebooting it. That part was requested by the restoral process, by the way. It then asked if I wanted to restore a saved configuration or set it up afresh, so I restored using the save config file. This process enabled the refreshed Orbi to get an internet connection and provide one to wired devices. I also reconnected the satellite, but did not reset that to factory specs (and it properly reconnected to the main Orbi with no involvement on my end). I checked and at that point both the main unit and the wired desktop computer reporting full speed again, but the wifi connections were still slow inititally. This remained the case for a couple of hours, but later that same day out of curiosity I tested again and voila! suddenly my phone was blazing fast again too. Wish I could tell you for sure what happened, but I can't actually say what part of that worked or why it did not work right away for the wifi piece, but only kicked in a couple of hours later?!? I do know that I was happy to have used the save config file since it does not appear to have had any deleterious effects and saved me quite a bit of time not having to reconfigure all that stuff from scratch manually!!! The cautionary note I have seen before is not to use a saved config from a prior firmware version, but this one was fresh using the exact same latest firmware version I was going to restore back to...

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7