Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBRE960 devices stop connecting

JaxSully
Guide

RBRE960 devices stop connecting

I have read several threads and this specific issues doesn't not seem to be covered.  I have a RBRE960 with 2 Sats. They are the appropriate distance apart and I used MoCa to backhaul the connections. I am running transmit power of 50% on all devices. I have roughly 53 devices connected either via Wifi or Wired. 

There are times when my Xfinity connection goes out and basically the RBRE960 goes sideways. When the internet comes back up and the RBRE960 reconnects all of the sudden it will drop more than half the Wifi connections. Some devices like my iphone will connect but it will say no internet access, or the phone won't connect at all. The last time I did this - no matter how many times I rebooted the RBRE960 I eventually had to do factory reset. Even when I did that I could not use the same SSID, the devices just would not connect - even with a new password. 

It just happened again today and I am at the end of my rope as it is a pain having to redo 40+ devices.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - JAX

Message 1 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@JaxSully wrote:

It just happened again today and I am at the end of my rope as it is a pain having to redo 40+ devices.

The recommended distance is more of a consideration when satellites are connected to the router over WiFi. Too  close and the user WiFi signals overlap too much.  Too far and the backhaul link slows too much.  When satellites are 'wired' to the router (which is what MoCA appears to be), the distance is more of a coverage issue.

This sentence bothers me:

@JaxSully wrote:

Even when I did that I could not use the same SSID, the devices just would not connect - even with a new password

In almost 20 years, I have never changed the WiFi SSID/password.  If a Factory Reset was performed, the previous SSID defined, but with a new password, then of course nothing will connect.  They know the previous password.

Is there a pattern to which WiFi devices refuse to connect?  (router? one satellite? both satellites, but not the router?)

Can you describe more about the Xfinity connection "going out"?  Power failure (which would affect the MoCA adapters)?

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 
Does this happen with both wireless and wired devices? 
What channel configurations are currently set on the router?  

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@JaxSully wrote:

I have read several threads and this specific issues doesn't not seem to be covered.  I have a RBRE960 with 2 Sats. They are the appropriate distance apart and I used MoCa to backhaul the connections. I am running transmit power of 50% on all devices. I have roughly 53 devices connected either via Wifi or Wired. 

There are times when my Xfinity connection goes out and basically the RBRE960 goes sideways. When the internet comes back up and the RBRE960 reconnects all of the sudden it will drop more than half the Wifi connections. Some devices like my iphone will connect but it will say no internet access, or the phone won't connect at all. The last time I did this - no matter how many times I rebooted the RBRE960 I eventually had to do factory reset. Even when I did that I could not use the same SSID, the devices just would not connect - even with a new password. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - JAX

Message 3 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

In almost 20 years, I have never changed the WiFi SSID/password.  If a Factory Reset was performed, the previous SSID defined, but with a new password, then of course nothing will connect.  They know the previous password

Thanks for the feedback - a bit more clarity. When I do the factory reset and use the same SSID and password as prior to the reset. The same devices which could not connect before still can't connect. When I used the same SSID and a new password I of course would apply the new password to the devices - yet they still won't connect. The only way I got it to work is to create an entirely new SSID.

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Was there any special characters in the SSID name or PW? 

Message 5 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

No just upper and lower case alpha and numbers

Message 6 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

So I just did a factory reset and set the SSID and PW to the same and of my 54 devices 39 were connected or at least seem to register - and then 17 fell off. It is like they are getting a DHCP reservation and then just disconnecting. When I look at the logs you see the same MAC addresses trying to connect and reconnect. 

UPDATE:

I changed the SSID to a new name and 3 devices that I could not get connected before  - connected. 

Change the SSID back to the original SSID and those devices will no longer connect. 

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF? 

Message 8 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3200 - the issue is the walls and the locations of devices - I used to have a nighthawk x10 and the main router is in the main front of the house but the signals were week towards the back and upstairs that is why I went to the RBS solution.

Does this happen with the RBS turned OFF?  I have not tried it without the RBS

2.4 Auto

5  - 40

however I just did a factory reset - typically I will use a Wifi scanner to see what the neighbors have and will adjust the channels accordingly. I can't remember what the settings were before the reset but I have manually adjusted them based on my Wifi scan.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you try using the system with one less RBS? 

That size of home, only the RBR and one RBS maybe needed. 

I would try manual channel 1 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

Message 10 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

I can try that this weekend - still does not explain the SSID issue IMHO. I can have my Iphone in my hand next to the RBE and it wont connect on the old SSID - update the SSID and it connects. 

Message 11 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you give an example of the old SSID name? 

Message 12 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

The first time this happened it was sullyhome then needed to change it to sully. Then it happened again in March 2023 and change sully to WiMCA. Then when it happened yesterday I change it from WiMCA to DarthRouter. 

As an update I have reconnected all the devices to the new SSID perfectly. We will see how long this lasts. 

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, if it does, I highly recommend trying the beta FW out as seen at the top of this forum. 

Been enjoying it on my 960 series. 

Message 14 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

Thanks I will give it a look.
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 16 of 19
JaxSully
Guide

So I filled out the survey for the beta? How long did it take you to get communicated to?

Message 17 of 19
F_V
Luminary
Luminary

In my case I filled out the beta firmware request form awhile ago now, did it again recently in case the first time didn't take.  I have yet to hear back from anyone about it.

Message 18 of 19
genomez
Tutor

I filled out the beta form a week or so ago and have also not heard anything about it yet.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7