Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS760 minimum distances between it and other RBS760

toytrains
Aspirant

RBS760 minimum distances between it and other RBS760

I need to add access for a Tivo with ethernet only (no wifi) , with fixed IP address (so it's discoverable by the other 3 Tivos on the network) in a room where I already have strong signal from my RBR760 router.  I have been using a Netgear wnce3001 N wifi adapter, which lost access when Netgear did firmware updates to the router system in early January, 2023.  (Same problem for multiple wnce3001's)  The new (3rd) RBS 760 on the system would be located 25 feet from the router (through a couple of walls) and 15-20 feet from another RBS760 which is downstairs (through floor and a couple of walls).  Will I have an RFI interference problem with the units so close to each other???? 

If I must, I can run a cat6 ethernet cable directly from the router through an attic and walls,etc, but it's a hassle and I'd like to avoid it by using another satellite.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBS760 minimum distances between it and other RBS760

30 feet to begin with. Can be more depending upon building materials. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet to begin with. Can be more depending upon building materials. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@toytrains wrote:

I have been using a Netgear wnce3001 N wifi adapter, which lost access when Netgear did firmware updates to the router system in early January, 2023

True that the WNCE3001 debuted in 2012, but this does not seem right. On Amazon used WNCE3001s are are now selling for over $200.  Whatever happened to:

CrimpOn_0-1673989983036.png

Have you tried to Reset the WNE3001 and reconnect it to the router?

I would gladly spend $250 on another satellite before fishing Ethernet cable up into the attic and down into another room, especially if there are fire blocks inside the walls.

There are a ton of similar products on Amazon for under $50.  There is even some WiFi6 models.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. Neglected to ask "what about the other WNCE3001s?"

I would not be overly concerned about WiFi interference.  Other Orbi models have an option to decrease the Transmit Power (on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, WiFi Settings menu).  Netgear does not bother to describe Advanced settings in the User manual, so only a person who has a 760 can determine if the option exists on that model.

Message 4 of 8
toytrains
Aspirant

Four "Pro-Support" people at Netgear (who seem like unqualified boiler plate readers with poor English understanding and speaking skills to me), have all claimed that the WNCE3001 (and all wifi N products) won't work with the RBR760.  It's obvious to me that they did work in December and didn't after the last series of router firmware updates, but the techs have no interest in putting me in touch with anyone with real skills.  Also, they claimed that they would escalate the cases and I would be called back by higher level people, which didn't happen.  So, from my humble 60 years of electronics experience and Physics degree, I'm left to deal with whatever situation really exists rather than banging my head against the wall.   Resetting the WNCE3001's doesn't help the problem.   However, I have figured out how to trick the router into letting the Tivo download and update it's TV Guide file before losing connectivity.   That, however, does not get the Tivos to talk to one another over the WNCE3001's.  Fortunately, I've gotten 3 of the 4 Tivos speaking on wired ethernet by adding short cables and using the ports on the router and satellites.

Frankly, the quality of Netgear's support technicians has made my mind up to run 150 ethernet cat6 cable and be done with it.  I just won't buy any more of their products.

Many thanks for the attempts at helping, but I'm pretty sure that using my experience with Netgear's older equipmenet led me to  bet on the wrong horse.  Time to cut my losses and move on. 

Message 5 of 8
toytrains
Aspirant

No option to control signal power exists in Orbilogin.com or the phone app.  Noteably, the RBR760 takes away the old N router options to have separate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 ghz bands, no longer allows you to suppress broadcasting the SSIDs or to keep wifi clients from seeing your ethernet clients, if you choose to. 

Thanks anyway, but I'll opt for the ethernet cable.  I'm sure my 79 10/12 year old bones would regret it, so I'll bring in a handy man to string the cable. 

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Cannot fault the decision.  It seems every time I think, "Maybe I should subscribe to GearHead Pro Support so that I can "ask someone who knows" when strange issues come up on the forum, there is another discouraging report like this one.

There have been reports on the forum about older devices not working when 802.11ax is enabled. (At 10 years old, this might include the WNCE3001.)   A few years ago, I would have said, "Turn off AX. There's probably nothing in the house that can even use it."  In 2023, the tide is turning more toward WiFi6 on many products (phones, laptops, etc.)  In the 2.4G realm where most Internet of Things (IoT) devices live, the vast majority seem to be built using 802.11n and there is not much downside in disabling AX on 2.4G.  My guess is the WNCE3001 would prefer the 5G band because of the higher throughput.

If you feel like an adventure one day when no one is in the house to complain*, you might go into the Advanced Settings and disable AX on both 2.4G and 5G and see if one of the WNCE3001s will connect.

*By complain I mean that changing this setting will cause the entire WiFi system to restart.  My security alarm base unit goes nuts when WiFi disappears. I get both texts and emails ("WiFi lost."  "WiFi back.")

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@toytrains wrote:

No option to control signal power exists in Orbilogin.com or the phone app. 

Well, Dang.  The 'app' for sure cannot do anything advanced.  My old Orbi has these options on the web interface:

CrimpOn_0-1674001317556.png

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7