Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slower wired speeds RBK753

carlb1981
Aspirant

Slower wired speeds RBK753

I have recently bought the RBK753 kit to help with my network speeds throughout my house. I have a 500mbs fibre connection and plugged the orbi router into my isp router/modem. I have disabled the isp routers WiFi and have connected both my satellites wireless in the rooms I need them most. I'm having a problem with my satellite speeds on devices I have wired to them. For example my living room satellite I have an xbox series x and a sky q box connected with cat 6 ethernet cables and both have speeds around 160mbs. But in the same room my phone which has WiFi 6 gets speeds of near 400mbs, I was hoping my wired connections would be at least the same speeds coming from the same satellite. When unplugging the ethernet connections the WiFi speeds drop even more to around 60mbs. Is there something I should be doing when connected using ethernet to improve my speeds? I bought this system because all the reviews I watched were getting near on same speeds throughout the house and that doesn't seem to be the case with me.

Thanks
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Slower wired speeds RBK753

Sounds like a configuration issue on the RBR when in AP mode. 

Take the IP address that the RBR in router mode, gets from the modem, seen on the RBR advanced tab under Internet section. The WAN IP address seen there, set up a IP address reservation on the modem for this IP address so it doesn't change. Then put this IP address into the modems DMZ or IP Pass thru. Contact your ISP if you need help on how to do this with your modem/router if you need additoinal help and information. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? IF your ISP Modem has a built in router, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Message 2 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@Yashur21 wrote:

Why would someone buy a orbi router if your current modem already has a router built in?   So confusing to me. 

Many people find that the ISP device does not provide adequate coverage of their house.  They want 'fast WiFi' everywhere, not just in the room with the ISP device.

A common solution is to purchase a package of WiFi access points that can be spread around the house and enable fast connections everywhere.  Netgear makes a couple of solutions, as do Asus, TP-Link, Amazon, Ubiquiti, Linksys, etc.  All of these systems include a router.

After I installed the Orbi, I asked my ISP to replace the combination modem/router/WiFi device with a "modem only" device.

Message 3 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

@carlb1981 wrote:
 I was hoping my wired connections would be at least the same speeds coming from the same satellite. When unplugging the ethernet connections the WiFi speeds drop even more to around 60mbs.

There is no logical reason for a wired device to achieve less speed than a WiFi device, as long as the device is capable of higher speed.

A useful test would be to connect the X-Box and Sky box directly to the router.  If they get the same speed there, they may not be capable of more speed. (It is probably not practical to temporarily relocate either the XBox or the Sky box to connect to the router.)

I actually have 50' and 100' ethernet cables in my "box of network stuff" specifically for this purpose.  I string the cable through the house to connect something to the router (temporarily.  I do this when alone in the house.  Otherwise I would suffer "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.")  A $50ft cable is under $15 on Amazon.  100ft cables are under $20.

Message 4 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, the firmware version of the orbi is V4.6.5.14 my isp is sky, I'm based in the UK. From what I gather after reading posts online that I have came across when looking for info is the router/modem combo you get from them is that it doesn't have a bridge mode and that turning off all WiFi capability was what I had to do. I'll have a read through those links in the options you have posted and see if I can make sense of it. Again thanks for the reply.
Message 5 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

I could give this a try as have a long ethernet cable, can't remember what cat it is though but it's at least 7 years old so unsure if it'll support the speeds.
Message 6 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

It's a new system and I updated the firmware straight away so don't know how previous version ran.
Message 7 of 19
CrimpOn
Guru

Any decent ethernet cable will support 1 gigabit. Ethernet cables are rated at 90m distance and perform better when shorter.  A 100ft cable is about 1/3 of 90 meters.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

CAT6.

Message 10 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

@CrimpOn I Gave plugging my Xbox directly into orbi router a try today and speeds were pretty much full speed that's coming into house so the xbox isn't limited to what it can receive. So just need to sort out the double nat issue to see if that helps.
Message 11 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I've finally getting around to trying to solve my slower speeds issue, today I've tried turning my orbi router into AP mode but it caused problems with Internet connection. The connection to router itself kept dropping out and purple light kept showing and could get my devices to connect over WiFi either. So I put it back into router mode for now. I'd like to give option 2 a go as that sounded the best option anyway as I'd still be able to use app on phone to manage the orbi system. I'm just unsure what info I need and where to get it. I checked my isp router settings to see if I could find what needed changed and found this(photo attached) if this is what's needed to be changed where do I get the info needed from the orbi?

Thanks
Carl
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a configuration issue on the RBR when in AP mode. 

Take the IP address that the RBR in router mode, gets from the modem, seen on the RBR advanced tab under Internet section. The WAN IP address seen there, set up a IP address reservation on the modem for this IP address so it doesn't change. Then put this IP address into the modems DMZ or IP Pass thru. Contact your ISP if you need help on how to do this with your modem/router if you need additoinal help and information. 

Message 13 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

Is it the ip address in right hand box in photo attached that I need 192.168.0.25?
Message 14 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

Also can't see anything in settings on isp router for ip passthrough, just the dmz that I posted earlier. I'll post photos of router settings on my profile.
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes.

Contact the ISP and ask for help and information regarding there modem/router. I see DMZ on one of your pictures...that should be used. 

Message 16 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

Thank you, I've put those details into my isp router and will see how it goes. From everything I've read online regarding my isp they don't like to help you use 3rd party equipment. Hopefully this works thank you for all your help.
Message 17 of 19
carlb1981
Aspirant

Just an update, after changing the DMZ and setting an IP reservation the system is running spot on. Getting speeds of around 80% of full speeds throughout most of the house now and double nat issue is gone. Pleased I can still run in router mode and have full app control of the system. Thank you for all your help 😁
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7