Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to see any devices connected to the satellites

vnl
Tutor
Tutor

Unable to see any devices connected to the satellites

Hi all,
Recently moved and started using a new ISP. The damn ISP uses their copper wired nonsense still. So have to use their router but have set up as a modem.
I have my orbi as a router and satellite and both are working in terms of the internet and speed.
I have a NAS and a Raspberry pi connected via the ethernet to the satellites as it's in my office space.
When I open the app, or web app. I only see devices connected to the router.
I had a static IP set for my NAS back in the old home and none of that works anymore. I cannot see the NAS or the Pi or to be honest none of the devices if it's connected to the satellite. If at all a device was connected to the router and then moved to connect to the satellite it shows offline.

Edit: I logged into the satellites and checked to see if it was connected there. The list does not have my devices either. I have to manually ping and find the IP address for the NAS, Pi and any other devices connected to the satellites. 

Current Firmware: V4.6.14.3

vnl_0-1678263232638.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/orbi/comments/11lrv6a/unable_to_see_any_devices_connected_to_the/?utm_sourc...

Message 1 of 17
plemans
Guru

What ISP modem do you have? 

Some are pretty junk. 

You can try putting the ISP device back in router mode (disable its wifi) and then either put the netgear in access point mode or put the netgear into the ISP's DMZ. 

Message 2 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

I can try that for sure just that I wanted to take advantage of all the router functionalities of Orbi as a router. Seems more like a bug, no?

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

With the ISP device sure. 

They're rarely updated and tend to be the cheapest possible made. 

The orbi worked fine before? And once you introduce the ISP device, issues. 

Message 4 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

The issue started with the new ISP (Virgin Media in the UK and their Hub 5 Router). 

In the last place, I did not have to use the ISP's router. So it was all easy and perfectly working. 

In this new place, I need to use their router, which is causing an issue. I will try and go back to using the ISP router as a router and disable wifi and check. 

I still think it is Orbi's issue, as I do not see the devices connected to the satellites only. 

Message 5 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

How is the satellite connected to the router?  (WiFi?)

Message 6 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, using the WiFi 

Message 7 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

Ah...so an update.

I am not sure how. I reset the router and the satellite. I can now see the devices connected to the router - both hardwired and WiFi. All the devices are connected to the satellites through Wifi. 

The thing missing is the two devices (Synology and Raspberry Pi) hardwired to the satellites. Damn so close...

Message 8 of 17
RafS
Apprentice

I had a very similar issue with my RBK963 system where anything plugged into the satellite would not show up on the list of devices.  What I and Netgear team did discover during this, is while running the firmware that was causing this issue is that for some reason, the log was showing DOS attacks the entire time and may have wrongly blocked those devices from the list thinking they were something other than what they were.  Rolling back firmware completely solved the issue.  I did the back and forth with the firmware over 6 times with the exact same results.  I am now on a beta firmware which fixes the issue but I did not run the latest RBK963 firmware due to this bug.  BTW, the devices were connected and were receiving an internet connection but would now show up on the list of devices, on the router, on the satellite list, or the app list of devices.

Message 9 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

This is the issue. Do you have a link to the beta versions? @RafS  I would want to downgrade to that. 

Message 10 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@vnl wrote:

I just read about a security flaw in all of the Orbi firmware.

There was a news story yesterday specifically about the Orbi 750 product:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/poc-exploits-released-for-netgear-orbi-router-vulnera... 

https://talosintelligence.com/vulnerability_reports/TALOS-2022-1596 

https://kb.netgear.com/000065574/Security-Advisory-for-Post-Authentication-Command-Injection-on-Some... 

The way I read the report, most of the "vulnerabilities" require local access or knowledge to function, and Netgear released patches months ago for most of it.  The "scare" is that so many customers fail to change default credentials or protect their home WiFi system.

Not related to the 960 product.

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

There are no betas available for the 8 series. RafS beta for the 9 series would not work on other Orbi models anyways. 

However. Please be patient. Good things may on the horizon. 😉

Vulnerabilities were patched already:

https://kb.netgear.com/000065574/Security-Advisory-for-Post-Authentication-Command-Injection-on-Some-Routers-and-WiFi-Systems-PSV-2021-0182

@vnl wrote:

This is the issue. Do you have a link to the beta versions? @RafS  I would want to downgrade to that. 

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you see these two devices when they are directly connected to the back of the RBR? 

@vnl wrote:

Ah...so an update.

I am not sure how. I reset the router and the satellite. I can now see the devices connected to the router - both hardwired and WiFi. All the devices are connected to the satellites through Wifi. 

The thing missing is the two devices (Synology and Raspberry Pi) hardwired to the satellites. Damn so close...

Message 13 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

To be honest, I did not try that till you asked the question. 

I do see it when connected to the Router directly. It is the Satellites only issue. I have to connect the NAS and Pi to the satellites as it is in the study, and I am not allowed to have more devices in the lounge where the router is. 

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Why not? 

Message 15 of 17
vnl
Tutor
Tutor

Banned by the Mrs. apparently, I spoil the look of the lounge 😂

Message 16 of 17