Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WAN stuck on 100m/full

ScottD67
Star

WAN stuck on 100m/full

I have an RBR850 with exactly the same issue.  I've factory reset (per instructions above), upgraded to the latest firmware (V7.2.6.21), used 3 different CAT5E and CAT6 cables and no matter what device I attach to the WAN port of my RBR (I've tried my cable modem, PC and a Macbook) it will never negotiate above 100mbs/full.  I've also verified that the PC and Macbook can connect to the LAN ports of the RBR850 using the same cable and negotiate to 1gbs speed so it is something specific to the WAN port.  Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?

I know that my RBR850 used to work as well.  I haven't changed any hardware configuration since I purchased this modem/router set 2 years ago and verified back then I had download speeds around 950mbs which must mean that the router/modem ethernet connection was at 1gbs or higher.  Something has changed in the last 6-8 months that has caused this.  

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
ScottD67
Star

Re: WAN stuck on 100m/full

Just to close out this thread. I ended up purchasing a used RBR850 to replace the one that one which wouldn't negotiate >100Mbs.   That has worked and I can see that I'm getting 2.5Gbs between the modem and my RBR850 and my internet upload/download speeds are back to where they should be.  Seem the problem was related to a hardware issue or some type of software/firmware issue that multiple factory resets (following the instructions on this message board) would not take care of.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

If the router is less than one year old, it should be covered by the factory hardware warranty.  The only common physical element in all these tests is the actual RJ45 jack for the WAN connection. Gigabit connection requires all four pairs of wire, whereas 100 megabit requires only two pairs.  If one of those tiny gold wires is not making a good connection, then it can never connect at gigabit.  (Makes absolutely no sense that anything could happen to a wire once the Ethernet cable has been connected and has been working correctly at gigabit.)

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6A STP is recommended. 

Message 3 of 10
ScottD67
Star

Thanks, I did pull the cable out and inspected and cleaned connections but I cant see any physical damage and still the same results.  Unfortunately I'm out of warranty, but thanks for the suggestions.

Message 4 of 10
ScottD67
Star

My modem is a Netgear Nighthawk CM2000.  But If I directly connect a PC laptop or a Macbook to the WAN port the CM2000 it will negotiate to 1Gbs.    If I connect the same PC laptop or Macbook to the WAN port of the RBR850 with the same cable it will only negotiate to the 100mbs, the same as if the CM2000 is connected (using the same CAT6A cable).   Problem seems to track with the WAN port of the RBR850.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 10
ScottD67
Star

Just to close out this thread. I ended up purchasing a used RBR850 to replace the one that one which wouldn't negotiate >100Mbs.   That has worked and I can see that I'm getting 2.5Gbs between the modem and my RBR850 and my internet upload/download speeds are back to where they should be.  Seem the problem was related to a hardware issue or some type of software/firmware issue that multiple factory resets (following the instructions on this message board) would not take care of.  

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. 

Message 8 of 10
silverdiablo
Aspirant

Had a port not auto sensing between GS305EP to an Orbi 853. Was a cable issue. I had multiple cables with not all wires connected which resulted in 100M connections. As soon as I used a cable with all wires connected end to end the connection came up straight away at 1000M. Advice was spot on, you don't get any errors just 100M connection.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

That would certainly be a cause. Why we recommend CAT6A STP for 8 and 9 series Orbi systems. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7