Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Hp office jet pro 8600 not found by laptop after connecting to RBK753s

vicwojt
Aspirant

Wireless Hp office jet pro 8600 not found by laptop after connecting to RBK753s

I recently connected to a RBK753S Orbi mesh system. Originally I was using my Comcast modem/router and was able to print to my Hp 8600 Pro printer wirelessly using several of my devices - iPhone, Surface laptop, several iPads, Chromecast laptops and HP desktop connected to the Comcast router via an Ethernet cable, with no problem.
The Orbi router is now connected to the Comcast router via an Ethernet cable. Now, I can still print via all of my devices except my Surface laptop. It doesn’t find the printer and the troubleshooting either says it is running fine or that the printer is offline. Using the HP app, through their analysis and print a test page it was successful. Running the test page option through windows says printer is offline.

Disconnecting Orbi and reinstalling the Comcast router the print function works.

I’ve spent hours uninstalling and installing the printer has been frustrating and non- productive.

can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Wireless Hp office jet pro 8600 not found by laptop after connecting to RBK753s

@vicwojt wrote:

I recently connected to a RBK753S Orbi mesh system. Originally I was using my Comcast modem/router and was able to print to my Hp 8600 Pro printer wirelessly using several of my devices - iPhone, Surface laptop, several iPads, Chromecast laptops and HP desktop connected to the Comcast router via an Ethernet cable, with no problem.
The Orbi router is now connected to the Comcast router via an Ethernet cable. Now, I can still print via all of my devices except my Surface laptop. It doesn’t find the printer and the troubleshooting either says it is running fine or that the printer is offline. Using the HP app, through their analysis and print a test page it was successful. Running the test page option through windows says printer is offline.

Disconnecting Orbi and reinstalling the Comcast router the print function works.

I’ve spent hours uninstalling and installing the printer has been frustrating and non- productive.

can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Is your Orbi connected in Router mode or Access Point (AP) mode?  You want all your devices and your HP printer connected to a seamless, single network.  That can occur in two ways:

1. Connect your Orbi in Router mode, use it as the router instead of the Comcast modem/router.  All devices should connect only to the Orbi (LAN or wireless), not the Comcast modem.  The only thing connected to the Comcast modem should be the Orbi (via LAN) - Reconnect any other LAN device away from the Comcast device and instead to one of the Orbi's network ports.  Your printer should be visible to any device.

Ideally, you should also put your Comcast modem in bridge mode and/or turn off its wireless.
  2. Connect your Orbi in AP mode, continue to use your Comcast modem/router as the router.  Now your Orbi seamlessly "extends" the Comcast network.  Devices can connect to either the Orbi (LAN or wireless) or the Comcast (LAN).  Your printer should be visible to any device.

If you are already doing (1) or (2) and still having problems seeing the HP printer on your Surface laptop, tell us what wireless your Surface is connected to and what device your HP printer is connected to (and LAN or wireless?).

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Wireless Hp office jet pro 8600 not found by laptop after connecting to RBK753s

What comcast modem/gateway are you connected to?

As @Mikey94025 says, what mode is the orbi in and the comcast gateway in? Those are key.

Is the printer connected to the comcast gateway or to the orbi? 

Message 3 of 7
vicwojt
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. First, I have to tell you that I am a complete novice to this mesh system. I cannot tell you whether it is connected in “router “ mode or “ AP” mode. The Orbi is connected by Ethernet from the Comcast router/modem to the internet port of the Orbi. Nothing else is connected to the Comcast router. The HP 8600 printer is working wireless on the Orbi network. All of my other devices are working wireless on the Orbi network and see the printer, the Surface does not. Strangely, using the HP smart app on the Surface, I can print test pages and configuration pages on the HP printer but outside of the HP app the Surface will not see the printer.

Like I said I am a novice  to this and feeling frustrated the more I try to get this fixed.

once again, thank you for your response.

vic

Message 4 of 7
vicwojt
Aspirant

Thank you for you reply. 
The Comcast Gateway router model is TG1682G Rev. 11.0

Firmware TG1682_4.12p20s1_PROD_sey

Being an absolute novice to this mesh system, I cannot tell you what mode it is in. The printer is working wireless on the Orbi network. The Comcast Gateway is connected to the Orbi internet port by Ethernet l Nothing else is connected t the Comcast router.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Pretty clear that the issue is with the Surface tablet and not the network.

Windows can be tricky about "adding a printer".  Windows defines so damn many "printers" that users have no interest in and sometimes it is not clear how to specify an actual printer in the Control Panel Devices and Printers.

Message 6 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@vicwojt wrote:

Using the HP app, through their analysis and print a test page it was successful. Running the test page option through windows says printer is offline.

OK, you did the right thing uninstalling and reinstalling the HP printer on the Surface laptop.  The HP printer has a different IP address when connected to your new Orbi network vs. your old Comcast network, but I would think that uninstalling it using Windows should've cleared everything so the next install would find it correctly.  Sorry, this is at best answered in an HP printers forum.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7