Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

401 Unauthorized Access (RBR50)

orbi7500
Follower

401 Unauthorized Access (RBR50)

When trying to access some websites (not all), I am prompted to login to the router.  This is happening on all devices (OSX 10.14, OSX 10.13, and iOS 12.1).

You can see in the attached screenshot that I am trying to visit espn.com and I get this error.

How do I fix this?

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 7.33.46 PM.png

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
Tom_M480
Tutor

Re: 401 Unauthorized Access (RBR50)

I have not had a problem with my wifi for 6 months or so, starting yesterday, I have the same problem. Just certain web pages, it asks for name and password. Having hard time finding a fix.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 2 of 8
Tom_M480
Tutor

Just logged in remotely from my laptop. A message popped up telling me I had an ip conflict between  my modem and my router. The orbi router assigned a new ip address automatically and now I'm able to access all websites without a login in popup! (so far/ fingers crossed)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 8
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can both of you describe what equipment (make/model) your orbi is plugged into connecting you to the internet?

Also, do you have custom or auto DNS'?

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Tom_M480 wrote:

Just logged in remotely from my laptop. A message popped up telling me I had an ip conflict between  my modem and my router. The orbi router assigned a new ip address automatically ...

This happens when the previously used LAN subnet (default 192.168.1.0/24, router on 192.168.1.1 as default gateway) does overlap with the WAN/Internet address/subnet assigned by your ISP _or_ under some conditions. A "popular" one are Cable TV routers or modems which fall back to the same 192.168.1.0/24 subnet after a power failure/uplink connection failure for the time before the cable modem/router is properly  provisioned by the ISP from the headend again.

Contributing factors here are 

• deprecated usage of fixed default IP addresses on ISP equipment (nowadays ZeroConfig should be used)
  • inability to disable this smart-a** feature on the Netgear routers like Orbi Pro, Orbi, Nighthawk, ... for an uncontrolled change of the LAN IP subnet  

@NaderA a control to stop this supposedly consumer "friendly" design which does cause more problems in reality than what it does resolve must be added to the Orbi Pro at least.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 6 of 8
Tom_M480
Tutor

I tried all of these items, nothing really helped. The orbi finally crashed and when back to default settings. When I set it all back up, everything worked fine.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a backup of the configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Sometimes it needs a reset and setup from scratch. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7