Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC3000 vs. AC2200: Maximum Distance Between Satellites in Daisy Chain Configuration

RickPC
Aspirant

AC3000 vs. AC2200: Maximum Distance Between Satellites in Daisy Chain Configuration

I am trying to determine whether there is any a material difference between the AC3000 and AC2200 mesh network, if I need to maximize distance between two satellites in a daisy chain configuration.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AC300 vs. AC2200: Maximum Distance Between Satellites in Daisy Chain Configuration

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Others have posted having RBS out at 60 feet. Building materials will be a factor in this. 

Message 2 of 6
RickPC
Aspirant

Re: AC300 vs. AC2200: Maximum Distance Between Satellites in Daisy Chain Configuration

I can set the first satellite wtihn 30 ft of router.  Howevere, I want to run about 60 feet or a bit more rom that satellite to the next.  it would be across an open space through two windows..home to garage office.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS should not be closer than 30 feet. Any closer and the wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS becomes bad. Causes problems. 

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

RBS should not be closer than 30 feet. Any closer and the wifi over lap between the RBR and RBS becomes bad. Causes problems.

This is not 100% true.

The user should be advised to try what works for their specific coverage area.  It's NOT a one size (distance) fits all.  

Pay attention to the ring color on the Orbi and the Sats, that will be your best gauge for your situation.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@RickPC wrote:

I can set the first satellite wtihn 30 ft of router.  Howevere, I want to run about 60 feet or a bit more rom that satellite to the next.  it would be across an open space through two windows..home to garage office.

I doubt very much if there will be a material difference in "maximum distance" between Orbi models, as the maximum radio strength is regulated by the FCC.  The "50" series Orbi's have physically separate antennas for the WiFi backhaul link, which may tend to increase maximum bandwidth as they are not being shared with the "user" 5G signals as on the "20" series.

Open space allows much greater distance than penetrating walls.  Metallic film on the windows is a major impediment to watch out for.  This is common on modern double pane windows.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to hook them up and look at the ring light.  "Blue" means "Good".

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7