× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adding router to exterior garage

arichter11
Tutor

Adding router to exterior garage

Greetings!

I have an older Orbi system (I think it's the AC2200 with router and 2 plug-in satellites, but can't honestly remember). We are currently renovating our exterior detached garage and turning it into a home gym. My electrician is wiring it for electric and also data. I am wondering if it's possible to just buy another standalone Orbi, plug it into the ethernet port in the garagea, and then connect it to my existing network so I don't have to switch domains when I am going from home to garage (it will also give us stellar coverage in the yard). Is that doable? Or should I just get a cheap router for the garage and suck it up when i have to change? lol. Thanks all.

arichter11

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

You can use RBS20, RBS40, RBS40v and RBS50 in a ethernet connected configuration:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 6
arichter11
Tutor

Awesome! Thanks. That'll be great!!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
arichter11
Tutor

Hey quick follow up question (just thought of this). Is it all or nothing? My two existing satellites are connected wirelessly, if I switch to the ethernet set up, do they ALL need to be on Ethernet, or can I keep some of them wireless and my new on the ethernet? The two satellites I have do not have ethernet ports so that would not work for me.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

You can use both. I have a couple satellites hardwired in and other running wireless. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series