Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Address reservation via config command does not show up in UI

maks71
Aspirant

Address reservation via config command does not show up in UI

Hello

I have followed the instruction in following article to add almost 50+ address reservation I had after factory resetting the router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset...

config set reservation<no>="<ip Addrress>  < Mac Addrr> <Description>"  exectuted successfully.

I validated them using nvram show command and all 50+ shows up there.  But I don't see in the Netgear UI ( Advanced-->LAN-->Address Reservation), to apply. I see the devices are taking random IP address even after power cycling them.

I also tried config commit command as well.  but it does not show up.  How do I get to see them in UI and appplied?  Is there way to apply in the telnet session?

Thanks in advance for the quick response.

-Max

@ekhalil 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Address reservation via config command does not show up in UI

It has been over a year, but my (dim) memory is that after doing the config commit telnet command, it was essential to open the Orbi Advanced Tab, Setup, LAN Setup page and click on "Apply". (That was in message 1 of the post.)

Message 2 of 8
maks71
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn 

You're correct. The OP suggested I have to hit apply from webpage ( Advance Set up -->LAN).  However,  I don't see any reservations showing up on the webpage.

Here is the command I am entering.

config set reservation67="192.168.1.82 90:32:4B:92:59:14 Brother Printer - Upstairs"

and it does show up in the output of  " config show | grep reservation[0-99]" command.

What am I doing wrong.?

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

This could be a web page refresh sort of thing.  i.e. the telnet session populates the internal tables, then "Apply" on the LAN Setup page makes them permanent and refreshing the LAN Setup page will make them show up.  (It has been so long and I can barely remember what I ate for lunch yesterday)

One of the frustrating features of the Orbi is that when it starts up, a lot of things get copied from permanent storage to working storage.  The entire web directory (/www) appears from <someplace>.  I use a hacked Attached Devices web page that sorts them into order by IP address.  Every time the Orbi reboots, my version gets wiped out and I have to telnet in again and reload it.  It could be that the "Apply" button is what forces things into wherever the permanent file is stored.  (Or, I have no idea???)

I would try this: Open the LAN setup page before doing the telnet work. Click "Apply" on the web page. Then Refresh the web page.

Message 4 of 8
maks71
Aspirant

>I would try this: Open the LAN setup page before doing the telnet work. Click "Apply" on the web page. Then Refresh the web page.

Tried this but no luck. 

Any idea what "config  commit" command does?  

thanks

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I just did one for the last item in my list (#47)

config set reservation47="192.168.1.61 A1:B2:C3:D4:E5:F6 Dead Front Door Cam"

config commit

Went to the LAN Setup page and hit refresh (which took me back to the main menu????)

Opened LAN setup again, and there it is.

Changed #47 several times.  Enter telnet commands. Refresh page (which open the main menu instead). Open LAN setup.

Ideas:

• I believe the "Apply" button is what makes these changes actually take effect in operation.
    This is like when the web interface is used to create a bunch of LAN reservations. Apply is what makes them work.
    One of the annoying features of Orbi is that every time I hit "Apply" it seems to reset the whole router.
    Circle spins FOREVER.
    Telnet session drops and is "gone" (even though the debug page says it is enabled, I have to "un" unable and reenable to get telnet to work.
  • My first attempts at entering data from the clipboard were dismal failures until I started using Notepad++ instead of the Windows Notepad.  Notepad++ allowed me to set the "End of Line" treatment to Linux (nl) rather than Windows (cr nl).
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Neglected to mention that I use PuTTY as my telnet app.  Took me a while to learn that the way to paste into the terminal window was "right click".

I also got ambitious and tried to enter the other description entries as well:

orbi_dev_name##

orbi_dev_name_ntgr##

orbi_dev_type_ntgr##

access_control##

and I have no idea why this is a 'thing':

orbi_dev_name_v2_ntgr##

I fully understand there is no need to have these tables in any particular order, but my OCD side wants them "orderly" rather than "jumbled up."

Message 7 of 8
maks71
Aspirant

That's strange.  I tried one more time and it still does not show even after trying all the tricks you stated.  😞

Not sure what commit does though,  I see no effect.

Yes,  I see the similar annoying things like enabling telnet each time after I apply. 

I used vi editor in the telnet to store the command in the file. so hope fully it should not be having new line character issue. But I will give it a try tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7