Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Alarm components need 2.4GHZ - help!

Instarand
Aspirant

Alarm components need 2.4GHZ - help!

Hi folks. I have a Frontpoint alarm system. The main alarm panel (brain of the system) needs to be on the same frequency as the keypad (device used to engage and disengage the alarm with the code). The main panel is actually capable of switching between 2.4 and 5GHz without issue. However, the keypad can only run on 2.4GHz AND it has to be on the same Frequency as the main panel otherwise it goes offline. So what’s happening is that the keypad stays online while the main panel is on 2.4, but randomly when the main panel switches to 5, the keypad disconnects. Is there a way to either:

(a) single out those two devices on the current SSID and force 2.4GHZ, or (b) create an additional SSID for the alarm that only uses 2.4GHz frequency? Or (c) can you folks think of other solutions all together?

I definitely don’t want to turn 5GHz off for my entire network. I’ve got 50+ devices and many of them connect to 5GHz.

Thought?? Thanks everybody!!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Mstrbig
Master

If there is not a feature on the device to force 2.4Ghz connection, then your only option, depending on what Orbi system you have, may be to do the Orbi SSID separation mod.

I have the RBK53 system consisting of 1 RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 satellites. I added an RBS40V satellite. The mod solved my issues regarding some stubborn devices that always wanted to connect 2.4Ghz. They fully support 5Ghz and are in close range of a Satellite, giving no reason why they keep connecting 2.4Ghz, except for 2.4 is a stronger, with wider coverage, frequency than 5Ghz. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Instarand wrote:
Hi folks. I have a Frontpoint alarm system. The main alarm panel (brain of the system) needs to be on the same frequency as the keypad (device used to engage and disengage the alarm with the code). The main panel is actually capable of switching between 2.4 and 5GHz without issue. However, the keypad can only run on 2.4GHz AND it has to be on the same Frequency as the main panel otherwise it goes offline. So what’s happening is that the keypad stays online while the main panel is on 2.4, but randomly when the main panel switches to 5, the keypad disconnects.

Can you please provide a web link to the Frontpoint user manual for your model?

My knowledge of alarm systems is limited, but my brief experience is that typical alarm systems are designed for a cell phone connection to the alarm company monitoring headquarters.  My original SimpliSafe came that way.  When I updated to the latest model, it now features both cell phone and WiFi connections to the monitoring headquarters.  WiFi is vastly faster. BUT (the key point) is that the alarm will function even when the WiFi network is unavailable.  It actually functions when there is no electrical power because there are batteries inside the base station and inside the keypad.  The connection between base station and keypad is not over WiFi.  (The connection between the base station and all the alarm sensors is not over WiFi.)

If the Frontier system can function when the power goes off, then I suspect that it is designed in a similar manner to mine.  (That's the reason to look at the user manual.  Would Frontier sell alarm systems to customers that fail when WiFi goes off or the power goes out?  Would they limit an alarm system to customers who have WiFi?)

Sorry to be so wordy.

Message 3 of 5
Instarand
Aspirant

Very interesting thought. You are right, I do not need WiFi to run the system. However, the keypad I’m referring to is not the “normal” keypad that I have at entry points of the house where I enter the code. Those are basic little pads that connect to the hub like the sensors do. In addition to these keypads, we put a more functional touch screen keypad in the master bedroom that operates more like a tablet. I will call support back and see if that touch screen only functions with WiFi on or if it’ll communicate like the rest of the sensors even without WiFi on.

Funny, on the FrontPoint website they do not list the user manual for the “Hub” or the “touch screen keypad.” They only list user manuals for the old Equiptment - such as the old analog control panel and the old touch screen panel. UGH
Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Instarand wrote:
Very interesting thought. You are right, I do not need WiFi to run the system. However, the keypad I’m referring to is not the “normal” keypad that I have at entry points of the house where I enter the code. Those are basic little pads that connect to the hub like the sensors do. In addition to these keypads, we put a more functional touch screen keypad in the master bedroom that operates more like a tablet. I will call support back and see if that touch screen only functions with WiFi on or if it’ll communicate like the rest of the sensors even without WiFi on.

Is this the touch screen keypad? https://www.frontpointsecurity.com/shop/touchscreen.html and https://www.frontpointsecurity.com/blog/introducing-the-new-touch-screen-control-panel  and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3nX9zlYMc 

The product description indicates "The Frontpoint Touchscreen requires WiFi and to be connected to the same network as the Frontpoint Hub."  Notice that it does not say "on the same WiFi channel", only that it must be connected to the same network.  All of my Internet of Things (IoT) devices operate this way. (smart plugs, thermostat, cameras, etc.)  They may be connected to WiFi on a 2.4G channel while my smartphone is connected to the same WiFi on a 5G channel and they still communicate.

Just as an "aside", I am sure you realize that if the electrical power goes out and WiFi goes down, this touchscreen will be inoperable.

I remain confused about another issue:

@Instarand wrote:
So what’s happening is that the keypad stays online while the main panel is on 2.4, but randomly when the main panel switches to 5, the keypad disconnects.

In my experience, "things that don't move" tend to connect to a WiFi system and remain connected.  Once a WiFi device has selected which WiFi it wants to use, it usually stays.  That is one of the most common complaints about mesh systems. ("Why does my device not connect to the Orbi that I think it should?")  The Orbi web interface Attached Devices page or the Orbi "app" Device Manager shows the Frontier Hub changing connections?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7