Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backhaul Issues still?

am549
Tutor

Backhaul Issues still?

Hi

I bought an RBK20 kit last night in a plan to have seemless wireless across the house, rather than the hodgepodge of access points I have currently. Thought the netgear with it's wired backhaul would be perfect, until I started reading about the compatibility issues with green Ethernet switches.

Due to the layout of my home I will have to configure the kit as follows

virgin router (modem mode) > orbi router > gs208 switch > SG1008P > orbi satellite.

I'm assuming due to the green Ethernet function on the gs208 it's going to cause me issues using wired backhaul?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Backhaul Issues still?

@am549 wrote:

I'm assuming due to the green Ethernet function on the gs208 it's going to cause me issues using wired backhaul?

I think the "Jury is still out" in regard to "green" ethernet switches.  I have one and it works fine.  The point of "green" is to reduce energy usage when a port is inactive. Seems to me that the Orbi backhaul will be active constantly.

In fact, I am not certain that it is even possible to purchase an ethernet switch these days that is not "green".  Once that feature got baked into the ethernet switch chipset, it will be hard to avoid.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

To test your configuration, Directly connect the RBS to the back fo the RBR, while in the same room. You should see it connect and show up in the RBRs status. 

Then while you in the same room, connect up one of the switches in between. See if the RBS connects correctly or not. Then try the other switch to test. This will help you determine which switch could be causing problems. Or both. Having maybe too many green ethernet switches could be causing problems. I would also stick with one mfr of switches. I wouldn't mix switches when daisy chaining them. You know how how well a switch is mfr'd from one mfr to the other. 

Been a few posts over a while about users finding switches with Green Ethernet causing problems. Most have been resolved by find a switch that doesn't have this feature or the feature can be disabled. Some managed switches you can disable it. 

I think NGs GS1 series switches, though have green ethernet features, don't seem to impact Orbi. I use D-Link DGS1 series switches and they work well. I believe NGs GS and D-Links GS 1 series maybe same HW. Just rebadged. I also use HP ProCurve 1400 series switches with no problems. 

@am549 wrote:

Hi

I bought an RBK20 kit last night in a plan to have seemless wireless across the house, rather than the hodgepodge of access points I have currently. Thought the netgear with it's wired backhaul would be perfect, until I started reading about the compatibility issues with green Ethernet switches.

Due to the layout of my home I will have to configure the kit as follows

virgin router (modem mode) > orbi router > gs208 switch > SG1008P > orbi satellite.

Message 3 of 7
am549
Tutor

Hi All

Just to provide an update on how installation went over the weekend. Bit disappointed to only find a Cat5e cable in the box, thought netgear would at least provide Cat6. Plugged in and updated to the latest firmware (2.3.5.30) once it finally connected to my virgin modem (odd that it needed rebooting meaning I lost the public IP I've had for 2 years nearly, must have been something to do with the new router).

Router plugged in to Virgin Media Modem then plugged into my Netgear GS208 switch via Cat6 cable. Combination of Cat6/6A cable from the GS208 to the TP-Link SG1008P then a Cat6 into the Satellite node.

Picked up wired backhaul first time without any issues and has been pretty stable for the last 24 hours. Really impressed with the overall speeds, coverage is a bit disappointing from a single node however and I've got a strange niggle whereby my Amazon echo is taking to the satellite rather than the router which it's pratically next to but otherwise impressed so far. 

Changing/Applying WiFi settings took longer than I had expected (source for frustration for a good 10 mins!) and keep getting random admin prompts for the admin portal.

Hopefully will stay this way!

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya Mfrs don't puting good quality cables in box. I've only seen 1 or two put in Cat6 inbox cable. 

The latest version of FW is here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Gald you got it working better. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 7
am549
Tutor

Thanks for the pointer re:firmware, trying to work out why it didn't update to the latest release when first plugged in and only to 2.3.5.30

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

The v16 seems to be a minor version which in most cases won't be pushed. It's avaiable for manual installation if uses choose to. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7