Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brief magenta then long blue light on RBS50 satellite

creaky
Star

Brief magenta then long blue light on RBS50 satellite

Several times last night the RBS50 satellite would flash magenta briefly and then go to blue for a few minutes before shutting off the lights completely. I'm still getting a connection on the satellite but it's at a slower, inconsistent speed. Been on 2.0.0.74 for weeks and haven't moved the router or the satellite; no new devices added that might create RF interference. Performance when clients are wirelessly connected to the router are solid. I have recently connected our security system to the router via ethernet, but will have to see if disconnecting that has any impact. Suggestions? Reset the satellite? 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Brief magenta then long blue light on RBS50 satellite

Move the sat closer.
Message 2 of 8
creaky
Star

The position of the router/satellite had not changed since the setup of the system so I tried something else that worked: Rebooted the satellite only and resynced it with the router; now speeds for clients connecting to the satellite are back. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The latest branch (2.0.x) changed the range for the sats, significantly shortening it..  

Message 4 of 8
djc6
Luminary

Interesting, I am experiencing similar issue here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Satellite-Issues-since-Orbi-2-0-upgrade/td-p/1434490

I've had Orbi just over a year; I haven't touched satellite placement, I never had the ring light come on until Orbi 2.0 update. 

Message 5 of 8
creaky
Star

@djc6: Have you tried power cycling the satellite? That helped with my situation.
Message 6 of 8
djc6
Luminary

@creaky wrote:
@djc6: Have you tried power cycling the satellite? That helped with my situation.

Hasn't helped, problem comes back week or two later.  It never came on first 10-11 months of ownership.

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

@djc6 wrote:

Interesting, I am experiencing similar issue here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Satellite-Issues-since-Orbi-2-0-upgrade/td-p/1434490

I've had Orbi just over a year; I haven't touched satellite placement, I never had the ring light come on until Orbi 2.0 update. 

Move the units so the satellites are closer to the router.  The 2.0 firmware requires the units to be closer together for a stable backhaul connection.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7