× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Buggy access control

yjl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Buggy access control

I have to turn off this access control feature to get the system usable. With access control on, I see a lot of weird bugs:

- The local network gets extremely slow.

- Some devices won't be able to go to internet. They can connect to the local network, talk to other devices. Just not internet. It seems to be Orbi blocking DNS access for these devices. When this happens, I have to reboot Orbi to solve it. It happens randomly to any devices.

- Some devices won't talk to each other. Again, it's randomly happening. Usually rebooting orbi solves it.

- Some devices don't function normally. For example, some of my camera's video stream won't work though I can connect to their web portal fine!

I really hope Orbi could fix these bugs to make it usable again.

I have been using Orbi for more than 3 years. This has been bothering me all along and it's getting worse or worse. I am not sure it's the firmware upgrade or I am having more devices though. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@yjl wrote:

I have to turn off this access control feature to get the system usable. With access control on, I see a lot of weird bugs:

Could you please comment of which of the access control features are being used:

• The provision in the Orbi 'app' to Pause devices? or
  • The Security feature in the Orbi web interface?

While I appreciate how access control makes people feel more secure, I consider this feature more irritating than essential and have not enabled it.  If my neighbors can figure out my 25 character password, they deserve to access to my internet.  As an analogy, access control is like the key to my front door.  Not only does someone have to have a key that fits my door, it has to be a key that I kknow about.  With modern key fobs, I no longer hand over my keyring to valets, mechanics, or even valets. (Actually, they don't need a key that fits. They can pick the lock or just kick the door in.)

With access control, when my wife has someone over and they say, "Let me show you a picture on my iPad. What's your WiFi?"

(music from the movie Jaws.....)  CrimpOn... why is the internet not working?????  Oh, s**t. He's not home to do that thing he has to do  I am happy with access control disabled..

I also do agree 100%, a router feature is offered, it should damn well work.

Message 2 of 4
yjl
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am talking about the security features to prevent strange device from accessing the network.

You are right that this feature is useless if you only use WiFi. I have some outdoor POE cameas. Without access control, someone could unplug the camera and plug in any device to access my network.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@yjl wrote:

I am talking about the security features to prevent strange device from accessing the network.

You are right that this feature is useless if you only use WiFi. I have some outdoor POE cameas. Without access control, someone could unplug the camera and plug in any device to access my network.

Apart from the alert when a camera goes off-line and the spectacle of someone climbing up a ladder next to my house, that is entirely correct.

There clearly are Orbi users who have access control enabled.  There's no guarantee, but maybe if the specific problems are described, someone will be able to offer a solution. I seem to recall posts claiming that certain firmware releases function better than others with regard to access control.  Can't hurt to try.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series