Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CM1100 and Orbi RBR50 - recommended settings

lineaux
Aspirant

CM1100 and Orbi RBR50 - recommended settings

Hello,

I have an existing  currently working almost flawlessly (on AP mode) with an att uverse gateway.  A very straightforward setup.

I will be moving to xfinity internet soon and already purchased CM1100 (from Costco).  I plan to connect the same Orbi RBR50 (+1 RBS50) to the CM1100 (cable modem).  

I believe I would need to switch the RBR50 settings back to Router mode before I move to connections from the att gateway to the CM1100, correct?  Will there be any problem if, for some reason, the RBR50 was left on AP mode when moved to the CM1100?  

I would also like to seek for recommend settings (if any) on either the CM1100 or RBR50.  At the start, I plan to keep the connections/setup simple then experiment on some advanced settings later on.

Thanks

Model: CM1100|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS 3.1, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

A power OFF of the modem for 1 minute then back ON maybe needed to effect this. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the RBR needs to revert back to router mode if you connect it to the CM1100.

Disable LAG on the CM modem and be sure to connecdt to WAN #1 port on the CM modem with the RBR. 

Be sure to power OFF the RBR after setting router mode. THen connect to the CM modem. Power the modem ON first and besure it's activated by the ISP correctly. After the modem is online fully, then power ON the RBR. It should get internet services with out any other changes. 

This would be all thats needed.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 8
lineaux
Aspirant

Thanks for the information.  I have noted the LAG setting on the CM.

I wanted to make sure that aside from changing the RBR settings from AP to Router mode, no other changes are needed.

Also, I just remembered that I need to ask the tech about the CM FW update.  I assume that the  CM only have the 'default' FW version loaded (V2.01.02) out-of-the-box.  I wonder if the comcast-deployed FW (V6.01.07) is automatically uploaded during activation.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

ISPs are reqponsible for FW updates on cable modems. There is no user appliable FW updates for modems. Some ISP may not push FW udpates to user owned modem. Contact the ISP for further information regarding this. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 8
quagmire1
Luminary

@lineaux wrote:

I wonder if the comcast-deployed FW (V6.01.07) is automatically uploaded during activation.

Comcast should automatically load the latest firmware onto your modem upon activation.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

A power OFF of the modem for 1 minute then back ON maybe needed to effect this. 

Message 6 of 8
lineaux
Aspirant

Update: Xfinity service activation went on smoothly,  We run into a small issue when the technician immediately moved the RBR connection from the att gateway to the CM once he determined that CM was working.  I had perform a few reboots to get all the equipment sync'ed up and change the RBR setting from AP to Router mode.  

Confirmed that the latest Comcast-deployed FW was installed; and, the LAG is disabled

Thanks you for all your input.  much appreciated.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements