Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1150V Modem, RBR50 Orbi and MOCA network

US285126
Tutor

CM1150V Modem, RBR50 Orbi and MOCA network

I have a CM1150V modem connected to an Orbi RBR50 Router.  Trying to get a MOCA network setup.  I'm using the TIVO Bridge Plus Adapter and have a POE filter attached between wall and TIVO Bridge Plus.

The network light on the Tivo Bridge Plus is not on and I don't see it connected in my Orbi attached devices.

Any tips? Is the CM1150V setup to allow for MOCA out of the box? Is there a configuration setting on either device I need to adjust?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: CM1150V Modem, RBR50 Orbi and MOCA network

@US285126 wrote:

I have a CM1150V modem connected to an Orbi RBR50 Router.  Trying to get a MOCA network setup.  I'm using the TIVO Bridge Plus Adapter and have a POE filter attached between wall and TIVO Bridge Plus.

The network light on the Tivo Bridge Plus is not on and I don't see it connected in my Orbi attached devices.

Any tips? Is the CM1150V setup to allow for MOCA out of the box? Is there a configuration setting on either device I need to adjust?

I suspect the POE filter may be installed in the wrong location.  It all depends on where the modem is related to the Tivo units.

I used MoCA for several years to connect my Tivo to a Tivo Mini and to the Internet.  My Tivo and Tivo Mini both include integrated MoCA adapters.  That allows for streaming from the Tivo to the Mini(s), but of course the Tivo has to be connected to the internet to receive schedule updates and to run Tivo "apps" (Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. etc.)

That is where the MoCA adapter comes in: to connect the Local Area Network to the MoCA network so that the Tivo can connect to the internet.  The modem (CM1151V) has nothing to do with MoCA.  It is entirely unaware that MoCA exists.  The MoCA adapter is inserted into the coax cable feed before it reaches the CM1151V modem and an ethernet cord run from the MoCA adapter to the Orbi.

That POE filter will totally block MoCA signals.  The installation diagram indicates that it must be placed "in front of" the entire cable network:

My Tivo and Tivo Mini both include integrated MoCA adapters. That allows for streaming from the Tivo... 

In my case, the Spectrum cable feed from the pole comes to the second story roof, where there is a splitter. One coax runs to the main television (where the Tivo is), one coax runs to a bedroom television (Tivo Mini), and one coax runs to my computers.  Three different rooms.  The POE filter goes between the cable tv coax and that first splitter, 20 feet in the air.  If the POE filter was placed at my computer location, then it would be cut off from the two Tivo units.  They could still communicate with each other, but neither could communicate with the internet.

How about trying this:  Remove the POE filter and see what happens.

Message 2 of 5
US285126
Tutor

Thanks for your response.  Initially I did not have a POE filter at all and was still having the issue.  I installed it thinking it might help.  (I was honestly grasping at straws.)  I took your suggestion and uninstalled it.  Still nothing.

Shouldn't I be able to see the MOCA adapter on the Orbi Attached devices?

Message 3 of 5
US285126
Tutor

Follow-up question... Tivo says "Have your router/modem manufacturer set the MoCA output to 2.0 as a standard."

How is this done?  Is this already the default?  Can't find a place in the Advanced Setup to configure anything related to MOCA.

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@US285126 wrote:

Shouldn't I be able to see the MOCA adapter on the Orbi Attached devices?

I got tired of the tangle of stiff coax cable and "moved on" from MoCA to PowerLine.  (Not sure that was smart, but that's another story.)

I honestly do not recall seeing the MoCA adapter appear as a "device" on the network.  Unmanaged ethernet switches, for example, do not ask for IP addresses and do not appear as Attached Devices.

I just dug out my  MoCA adapter.  Turns out it was an "Actiontech", not a Tivo brand (or maybe that was what Tivo was selling at the time?).  The label shows an ethernet MAC address, so maybe it should be a "device".  It also has a very tiny "config/run" switch.

This instruction page has diagrams for a lot of situations:

https://tivoidp.tivo.com/tivoCommunitySupport/s/article/MoCA-Networking-Help#TiVoB 

Geez.  What a puzzle.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7