Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cabling RBK50 as access point using ethernet backhaul

fefobe
Follower

Cabling RBK50 as access point using ethernet backhaul

Hi,

I have the following network-setup:

- a cable modem acting as bridge

- a router (cisco RV325) acting as router

- a RBR50 as access point, Firmware V2.1.1.12

- a RBS50 as satellite, Firmware V2.1.1.12

I'd like to use the ethernet backhaul for the satellite.

Now i'm really confused about the cabling to use ...

According this link

Ethernet-backhaul

I should use a LAN-Port to connect the ORBI-Router to my Router.

When I do this, the Router ring LED shows a solid amber permanently ...

I have no problem to conect to the router's webinterface, the connection works fine, but always this solid amber ...

In the room I'd like to place my router I have one ethernet connection point, a wired connection to the router in the cellar

Any idea what is the correct way to cable my ORBI ?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
Yetinet
Aspirant

I have a similar network and I think it is working well.

I plugged the WAN port of the RBR50 and the first LAN port of the RBS50 into my main switch, along with all my wired devices.

AP mode is working correctly

Both the RBR50 and RBS50 are accepting connections on the same SSID.

All of the indicator lights are happy.

Odd results include:

* the RBR50 status page says that there are no satellites connected, and that the RBS50 is connected by wire with an IP address on a different subnet to my usual one.
* All Wifi devices connected to the RBS50 are reported as being connected to the RBR50 by wire. - as are other devices on the Ethernet switch.
This solution satisfies my main requirements.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 2 of 5
Yetinet
Aspirant

Should also have mentioned that the RBS50 status page claims that no devices are connected.  When I look at all the devices reportedly connected to the RBR50 by wire, I know that the WiFi devices amongst those are connected to the RBS50.

Message 3 of 5
Yetinet
Aspirant

That last point is untrue.  The devices connected to the RBS50 now show up as such in the RBS50 status pages.  Maybe a reboot fixed it or maybe I was too quick.

Message 4 of 5
Yetinet
Aspirant

Well, after a several reboots and quite a few tests, I've removed the Ethernet backhaul altogether.  It provides me no benefit and makes the connection between the router and the satellite less likely to come up after a reboot. Hitting the sync button on the satellit always restored it though.

It is nice to be able to see the 'connected devices' report and know which band they've connected to and wheather via satellite or router.  With the Ethernet backhaull in place all devices other than those with direct Wifi connection to the router appear to be connected via wire.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7