Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I connect two Orbi meshes with a wired link to form one big network?

Can I connect two Orbi meshes with a wired link to form one big network?

I have a house with four floors, the  internet connection comes in at the bottom floor. I have a wire going to the top-but-one floor. I was thinking to have a satellite on each floor but going from bottom to top this would mean three hops?

To avoid that I am considering two base with one satellite each and connect the bases through the local network to forrm big network. Would this be feasible?

Frank

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

@FrankdeBruin wrote:

I have a house with four floors, the  internet connection comes in at the bottom floor. I have a wire going to the top-but-one floor. I was thinking to have a satellite on each floor but going from bottom to top this would mean three hops?

To avoid that I am considering two base with one satellite each and connect the bases through the local network to forrm big network. Would this be feasible?

Frank

you could run it that way or just run a single orbi router on its own ( running as a router ) and connect the lead that run up to that other floor and connect the other orbi router ( in ap mode ) and the sats connecting to it

etherway you still have all devices being able to see each other and the roaming might work , wont be pretty but it would work

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello FrankdeBruin

You could do this but it would create 2 networks if you are fine with that.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 11

@FrankdeBruin wrote:

Frank

you could run it that way or just run a single orbi router on its own ( running as a router ) and connect the lead that run up to that other floor and connect the other orbi router ( in ap mode ) and the sats connecting to it

etherway you still have all devices being able to see each other and the roaming might work , wont be pretty but it would work

Message 3 of 11

I am not sure how this reply became marked as the solution to my problem: it is uses the orbi as a normal router, an approach that just adds cost especially given that the one advantage I could see, transparant roaming, "might" work.  I will give it a miss.

I've done some further researching and looks like the Linksys Velop system does provide a wired backhaul. I am going to explore that route further.

Frank

Message 4 of 11
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

You said, " I was thinking to have a satellite on each floor but going from bottom to top this would mean three hops?"

The Orbi is a star network with all satellites connecting directly to the base station. As such, your path will always be 

Device -> Satellite -> Router -> Internet/LAN
or
Device -> Router -> Internet/LAN

Message 5 of 11

as above , as its the only solutio n to your problem with the way the orbi currently works

the velop is still going to leave you with no transmission on one floor so in reality wont achieve any different result as the velop only comes in 3 units

Message 6 of 11

Velop allows you to add more nodes. According to their support site:

"9. Is there a limitation in adding nodes in my Velop network?

If you have successfully set up three nodes in your Velop network, you can still add more nodes.  The maximum number of nodes that can be added is still being tested by the Linksys Engineering team.  Currently, they have tested up to six nodes."

Frank

Message 7 of 11

i know of someone runnning 5 orbi sats and they work fine but in a star topology

you can add nodes to the velop but if they are not connected to the main velop you will lose 50% per hop

Message 8 of 11

With the wired back haul that that the Velop system provides,  only hop is needed. No problems there.

Frank

Message 9 of 11

if you have structured ethernet installed you dont need ether the orbi or velop , you just need wireless access points and its going to be cheaper as well

Message 10 of 11

I am done with this conversation. Goodbye.

Frank

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7